Framingham State University Police Department
McCarthy Center (Access off Church Street)
100 State Street
P.O. Box 9101
Framingham, MA 01701-9101
Tips to help you stay safe while riding your bike:
- Make sure you know your bicycle before you ride. Know the different gears and how to use them. It's a good idea to take some sort of bicycle safety course before you ride.
- Make sure your bicycle is in good condition. Perform a safety check of the air pressure in the tires and the chain. Make sure all reflectors and lights are in working condition.
- Always dress appropriately for the seasons while riding, make sure you have all proper equipment like a helmet, gloves and eye protection. Wear bright colored clothing.
- Obey all traffic laws, ride a bicycle as you would drive a car. Obey all traffic signs and signals. Make sure to use hand signals when turning or slowing down.
- Never ride against traffic, Always be weary of what's behind you; it's a good idea to learn to look over your shoulder.
- Never pass a motor vehicle on the right side. The driver of the vehicle may not look for you on the right.
- Always be on the lookout for potential hazards in the roadway, such as potholes, sewer grates and railroad tracks. Be careful during bad weather; watch out for ice, snow, and standing water.