Residence Hall After Hours Emergency Protocol
The following protocols apply to residence hall facility and/or maintenance emergencies that occur anytime other than normal business hours (Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.). The FM after-hours voice mail number is x5970.
For reports of emergencies during normal business hours, call Facilities Management (FM) at x4590 and complete a maintenance request form.
It is critically important that all requests include complete information including hall, room or specific location, name and phone number of reporting party, description of request.
Please Note: A Residence Director on Duty (RDOD) MUST accompany FM staff responding to after-hours emergencies in the residence hall. In addition, the RDOD will personally respond to the site to verify an emergency anytime FM staff response is requested after normal business hours.
A. Heating Problems:
- If one room is affected, RDOD will verify that all windows are closed, and radiators and baseboards are not blocked by resident's belongings.If no heat, complete maintenance request form and call FM voice mail (x4590).
- If more than one room is affected, RDOD will verify the emergency and call FSU Police Department to request immediate FM response. RDOD will notify the AOC.
- If a window is damaged, but does not pose any serious hazards, complete a maintenance request form.
- If the RDOD verifies that a window is broken or damaged, and poses potential serious hazards, RDOD should call FSU Police Department and complete a maintenance request form. RDOD will notify the AOC.
- If a toilet or water bubbler is running but not overflowing, complete maintenance request form and call FM voice mail (x4590).
- If water is flowing onto a floor, call FSU Police Department.
- If a sprinkler head breaks, call FSU Police Department. (The water pressure drop can cause the fire alarm to sound throughout the building.)
Note: The AOC should be contacted and informed by RDOD of any flooding that causes damage to property, or which causes shutdown of areas or displacement of residents.
- In one or two rooms, if outlet(s) are not working, or overhead lights are out, complete a maintenance request form and call FM voicemail (x4590).
- If there is a complete loss of lights and electricity to the outlets the RDOD will check the circuit breaker if access is available. Currently RD's are only able to respond to Larned Hall and are not able to respond to OC, TW, HM, PR, or LI as electrical closet keys and labeling of breaker boxes is incomplete. FM is the only dept. who can check locked circuit breakers in LI, TW, HM, PR, and OC.
- To reset a circuit breaker, the RDOD will confirm that everything in the affected room(s) has been unplugged. The RDOD will then reset the breaker.If the breaker does not reset or the room remains completely without power, the RDOD should call FSU Police Department and FM voicemail. The AOC is to be notified by RDOD.
- If there is a large scale loss of power, call Public Safety.
- If there is any type of hazardous material (oil, paint, gasoline) spill, call FSU PD immediately and safely blockade the area to the extent possible. Do not handle hazardous materials unless you have been trained to do so.
- If a fire extinguisher is discharged, complete maintenance request form. Blockade the area to the extent safely possible so the powder does not spread. Replace extinguisher with spare from front desk. Take discharged extinguisher into confiscation room. Notify FSC PD. RD of hall will file operations request form with Res. Life and move it to the security desk for pick-up after any pending judicial matter is resolved.
- If there is a spill of any material that causes an "unsafe" condition (for example, slippery material on a staircase), RDOD should investigate. If the RDOD determines that there is a safety hazard, call FSU PD immediately and have area posted and/or blockaded to the extent safely possible. Never prevent access to emergency exits.
- If vomit is in area, staff should treat with sawdust or similar, and barricade the area to prevent further damage, and clean up if able and willing. Complete maintenance request form, and call FM voicemail.
- If there is a significant blood spill (more than a few drops), RDOD call Public Safety and FM voicemail (x4590).
Note: The AOC should be notified if there is an on-going public safety issue associated with any of the above spill scenerios.
- If an elevator is not leveling properly, and poses a potential safety hazard, RDOD should call FSU PD and request FM response. RL staff will put “out of order” sign on each floor.
- If an elevator is not working, RL staff will put “out of order” sign on each floor, fill out maintenance request form and call FM voicemail (x4590).
- If a person is stuck in an elevator, call FSU PD and request immediate response.
- If an elevator is not working and there is an immediate accessibility issue for one or more individuals in that residence hall, call FSU PD and request immediate response.
G. Locks and Doors:
- If entrance doors are not working properly, and it appears to be a hardware issue (not card access/programming), the RDOD should notify the FSU PD and the AOC. AOC will contact locksmith.
- If entrance doors are not working properly, and it appears to be a card access/programming issue, notify FSU PD.
- If a resident can not enter room or is not able to secure a room due to damaged lock or knob, RDOD should notify the FSU PD and the AOC. AOC will contact locksmith.
H. Pest Control:
- For any pest or rodent problems, complete maintenance request form. If fire alarm panel is buzzing or “in trouble,” call FSU PD.
I. Fire Alarms/System Trouble:
- If the detector is silent and one room is affected, fill out maintenance request form and call FM voicemail.
J. Smoke Detector (Room) Malfunction:
- If detector is not silent and/or more than one room is affected, call FSU PD and request an immediate response.
Responding to Telephone or Computer Failure/Network Failure:
For guidance, refer to “After Hours Support for Student Information Systems & Residence Hall Network Services - Guidelines, Policies & Procedures” published by Information Technology Services.
If there is an after-hours emergency in an academic building or on the College property, the same protocols are to be followed for each type of incident.