The staff at the Health Center would like to extend a warm welcome to you. We hope your time at Framingham State University will be productive, enjoyable and healthy. Our staff of experienced professionals is committed to providing you with high quality health care. The wide range of services we provide includes care for illnesses and injuries, women’s health care including Pap smears and contraception, men’s health care, nutritional counseling and health education. We look forward to working with you and hope to be of service to you during your years here.
The Commonwealth of Massachusetts requires by law a Certificate of Immunizations for all full-time (any day/night combination of three or more classes) and all Health Science students in order to register for classes. You must present documentation of having received:
- Current Tetanus/diphtheria/pertussis vaccine (within the last ten years)
- 2 doses of Measles, Mumps and Rubella vaccines
- 3 doses Hepatitis B vaccine (You must have received at least the first dose)
- 2 doses of Varicella (chicken pox) vaccine
- 1 dose Meningococcal vaccine (within the last 5 years) if you are a new student living on campus. Please read the attached information from the Massachusetts Department of Public Health about meningitis and the vaccine. It includes a waiver that students may sign declining the vaccine after they have read the information. We encourage all residential students to receive the vaccine.
- A PPD/Mantoux test (test for tuberculosis) is required if you have certain risk factors. Please see the risk factor questions on the immunization page in the Health Form.
Medical History and Physical Examination Requirement
A medical history and physical exam within 18 months is required for students who intend to:
- utilize the medical services offered at the Health Center and/or
- apply for residential housing (A residential housing assignment cannot be given until the medical history, physical exam and immunization record are received and approved by the Health Center.)
Health Insurance Requirement
The Commonwealth of Massachusetts requires that all full-time students (any day/night combination of three or more courses) participate in a health insurance plan. To fulfill this requirement you may either:
- enroll in the Massachusetts State System Plan which was designed for state college students or
- show evidence of a comparable or better health insurance plan of your choice.
You will receive information with your bill in July about enrolling in the school-sponsored health insurance plan or waiving it with your own insurance. To enroll in the school-sponsored health insurance plan or to waive the school plan with your own health insurance plan, go to http://www.framingham.edu/health-center/health-insurance.html. There you will find the link to enroll or waive.
If you have your own insurance, that company may require verification of your status as a full-time student. Please forward any forms regarding your student status to the Registrar’s office.If you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact us. The staff at the Health Center looks forward to assisting you with your health care needs while you are a student at Framingham State University.