McCarthy Center 504
Join us for mindful meditation led by Meghan Maxfield.
Wednesday, March 4
G1 Faculty Discussion
Please join us for a GenerationOne faculty and staff discussion on selected readings.
Monday, March 9, 2015
Phenomenal Woman Ceremony
Keynote: Yves Salomon-Fernandez
Diversity Dialogue: Transgender Visibility
Join us for a discussion on Transgender visibility led by Pride Alliance.
Diversity Dialogue: Irish Heritage
Join us for a discussion on Irish Heritage led by Cameron Zamagni, ‘16 and Professor Nial Stephens
Committee for Diversity and Inclusion General Meeting
Miss Representation Film Screening and Discussion
Miss Representation is a 2011 American documentary film written, directed, and produced by Jennifer Siebel Newsom. It explores how mainstream media contribute to the under-representation of women in influential positions by circulating limited and often disparaging portrayals of women. Free pizza!
Relevant Advice & Mentoring for Multicultural Students
This mentoring program is designed to assist first year students of color in the achievement of academic and life skills. This will be accomplished through connections with the University in three distinct areas, academic excellence, interpersonal connections, and personal awareness.
- Academic Excellence
- Demonstrate habits that develop skills to enhance academic achievement.
- Appreciate and achieve success as defined by the individual mentor teams.
- Learn the value of a curriculum that includes general education well as major concentration requirements.
- Eliminate the stigma associated with seeking outside academic assistance (ie. tutoring).
- Commit to Interpersonal Connections and Social Involvement
- Learn the value of involvement with the University outside the classroom through attending campus events, joining a club, participation in intramurals, etc.
- Support the Campus Passport from the student's FSU Foundations class with an Involvement Plan that makes campus involvement intentional.
- Learn to develop supportive friendships.
- Understand the role and responsibility of student inside and outside the classroom.
- Demonstrate appropriate behavior in academic and social settings.
- Seek Personal Awareness
- Explore a path to career and life success in way that incorporates unique individual experience, interests, passions, and expertise.
- Ensure students accept individual responsibility for academic successes and failures.
- A positive attitude.
- A willingness to learn.
- Three face-to-face contacts with your mentor each month.
- One session with all members of the program each month.
- Blogging about your first year in the spring semester.