Undergraduate Student Handbook
XX. Policy for NLN
NLN Achievement Examinations
1. Anatomy and Physiology
two (2) course credits - to be passed at or above 75%.
Principles of Microbiology
one (1) course credit - to be passed at the 55%.
2. NLN Accelerated Challenge Examinations II
Five (5) course credits on successful completion of all three exams, each to be passed with a decision score of 90.
3. Clinical Practice Exam**
Two (2) course credits – to be passed at the 70% level.
**The Clinical Practice exam is a 4-hour paper and pencil test. The applicants complete two nursing care plans, including information regarding common communication skills, medication administration, and procedures. It is recommended that applicants take this exam following the completion of the Accelerated Challenge Examinations.
Payment: A money order or cashier's check is to be made payable to "FSC Nursing Trust Fund." No personal checks or cash will be accepted. Results: Upon completion of an examination, a copy of the results of the exam will be placed in your Department of Nursing folder and one will be mailed to you. Verification of passing scores will be sent to the Office of the Registrar for appropriate credit to be recorded on your official transcript.
NLN Examination During Class Time
Students will not be permitted to take NLN exams when the student taking the exam is scheduled to be in a Nursing or non-Nursing class.
Policy for NLN Accelerated Challenge Examination II and Clinical Practice Examination Retakes
1. If a student fails a part of the NLN Accelerated Challenge Examinations II (hereafter called ACEII), or the Clinical Practice Examination, the student will contact his or her academic advisor. The student then has the option to make an appointment with the faculty person who is the clinical expert in that area. To obtain expert guidance, the student will bring the score breakdown of the test results.
2. If the student fails the first retake of an ACEII Exam or Clinical Practice Exam, the student MUST make an appointment with the clinical expert. The student will bring the score breakdown of the test results.
The student must present a “Permission for Second Retake” form, signed by the clinical expert, before the student will be allowed to sign up for the second retake. See Appendix xv for the Permission for Second Retake form).
3. If the student fails the second retake of an ACEII Exam or Clinical Practice Exam, the student is required to take a formal course in the content area or other course of study with prior approval of the clinical expert advising and the Nursing Department Chairperson. The student will be required to present evidence of satisfactory completion of the course to the clinical expert advising, before the student can apply to the Nursing Department Chairperson for a final retake. (See Appendix xvi for the form to apply to the Nursing Department Chairperson for a final retake).
4. Failure to successfully complete this final retake will result in dismissal from the Nursing major/university. (See undergraduate university catalog).