Art and Music Department Mission Statement
The faculty of the Department of Art and Music at Framingham State University facilitate a collaborative, innovative and interdisciplinary learning environment which focuses on academic excellence in the areas of visual art, art history, art education, music history and music theory. As part of a liberal arts institution, the faculty encourages hybrid and tangential relations with other fields as a way of aiding the student in identifying the most effective way to articulate their individual vision. The program is designed to help students pursue creative endeavors while also imparting specific skills appropriate to the various disciplines of fine arts, design, art education, and scholarly and professional endeavors in art history, museum studies and music.
Art History Learning Objectives
- To possess a high degree of visual and art historical literacy.
- To develop an understanding of the power and role of art in past and present social and historical contexts.
- To be familiar with traditional and non-traditional methods of interpretation.
- To develop students’ analytical and critical faculties.
- To conduct art historical research.
- To speak and write effective academic discourse, informed by the discipline.
Art History Department Assessment Plan (Coming Soon)