Framingham State University
Request More Information
Apply Now
Contact Information

In-Person Student Inquiries/Transactions will take place at the Student Services Center (SSC) located in the D. Justin McCarthy Campus Center, Rm 515.
Mon and Tue - 8:30am to 6:30pm
Wed - Fri - 8:30am to 5:00pm

Holiday Hours in effect beginning Dec 25, 2014 thru January 1, 2015:
 - Closed -

Phone: 508-626-4545
Fax: 508-626-4589
E-mail: registrarsoffice

Follow @FSU_Registrar Twitter link

Mailing Address:
Framingham State University
Office of the University Registrar
Dwight Hall 220
100 State Street, PO Box 9101
Framingham MA 01701-9101

University Policies

Academic Course Work Off-Campus
Attendance Policy
CAPS Program (College Academic Program Sharing)
CLEP for Undergraduate Students
Course Descriptions
Course Levels
Course Pass/Fail Policy
Course Prerequisites
General Education Requirements
Graduation Participation
Graduation Rate Information
Independent/Directed Study Registration
Math Placement Re-Testing
Payment of University Charges
President's and Dean's List Eligibility
Registration Course Limit
Required Declaration of Major
Student Biographical Information
Voter Registration

Academic Course Work Off-Campus: To receive credit for courses taken at other institutions, matriculated students must obtain approval in advance from appropriate department chairs. Retroactive approval will not be given.

Off-campus course approval forms may be downloaded or are available in the Office of the University Registrar. Applications for approval of a course should be accompanied by the appropriate catalog description from that institution. After obtaining the appropriate signatures for approval of the course, the student must return the completed form to the Office of the University Registrar. The form will then be reviewed for course credit transferability.

Transcripts of these approved courses must be submitted to the Office of the University Registrar within six (6) weeks after the completion of the course. It is the student's responsibility to have official transcripts sent directly by the institution to the Office of the University Registrar.

All approved courses transferred into Framingham State University after matriculation will be awarded Framingham course credit in an amount equal to the cumulative total number of semester hour credits transferred divided by 4 and rounded to the nearest whole number. For example, if students take three 3-credit courses, they will be awarded two (2) Framingham State University course credits.

Transfer credit is given only for courses in which the student received a grade of C- or better. Courses must extend for at least a three-week period and meet a minimum of forty-five hours. Although credit is awarded for all approved transfer courses, the grades will not be recorded on the student’s Framingham State University transcripts nor be counted in computing the quality point average.

Students may inquire further when seeking approval of courses to be taken at other institutions, and they will be notified of the total number of course credits they have earned from such courses whenever additional approved courses are transferred.

Return to top of page

Attendance Policy: Classroom instruction is a principal component of the educational process. Students and faculty have a mutual responsibility for contributing to the academic environment of the classroom. Consistent class attendance and participation in classroom activities are essential. It is expected that students will attend classes. Students should consult the course outline or syllabus to determine the relationships between attendance, including tardiness, and the goals, objectives, requirements, and grading of each course.

Return to top of page

CAPS Program: College Academic Program Sharing (CAPS) is a program for the sharing of academic facilities by the students attending Massachusetts State Universities (does not apply to the University of Massachusetts system or Community Colleges). Participating colleges include Bridgewater State University, Fitchburg State University, Framingham State University, Massachusetts College of Art, Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts, Salem State University, Westfield State University, and Worcester State University.

The primary purpose of the this program is to offer the opportunity to students registered at one state university to take up to thirty (30) semester hours of college credit at another state university without going through the formal registration procedures. Interested students must file a request form by June 1st for the fall semester and by December 30th for the spring semester. NOTE: Priority seating availability is given to matriculated students at the host institution.

Return to top of page

CLEP for Undergraduate Students: The College Level Examination Program (CLEP) is open to both incoming and enrolled students under the following conditions:

  1. Incoming first term freshmen may register for either the general battery exams (English Composition, Humanities, Mathematics, Natural Science and Social Sciences-History) or subject matter exams.
  2. Transfer and enrolled students may register for any general exam, provided they have not earned, or are not in the process of earning credit in a specific discipline covered by the general exam in question. Such students may also register for subject matter exams, provided they have not earned, or are not in the process of earning credit in a course which covers an equivalent area of study.
  3. Students attempting to "earn" credit via CLEP exams must achieve a score greater than 50 (effective Summer 2001).  Scores achieved less than 50 will not be acceptable for transfer credit.  (Prior to Summer 2001 - a score in the 50th percentile or higher must have been earned.)

Return to top of page

Course Descriptions: In the University catalog, under each course number and title, is a brief description of its content, followed by a statement on prerequisites, if any, explaining the requirements for admission to the course. Courses appropriate for general education are identified by (GenEd Goal), following the course title.

Return to top of page

Course Levels: The numbers to the right of the decimal point indicate the course level:

000-099 Non-credit courses.

100-199 Courses that are introductory in nature, assuming no prior college-level exposure to the discipline.

200-299 Courses appropriate for students with prior exposure to the college regimen or to the discipline, some with prerequisites.

300-399 Upper-level courses that build on previous exposure to the discipline, most with prerequisites.

400-499 Senior-level courses, most with prerequisites, including independent studies, internships, seminars, directed studies, and practicum.

600-699 Courses for public service undergraduate credit (not for degree programs - Exceptions may be made by the Major Department Chair).

70000-79900 Courses for public service and professional development graduate credit (not for degree programs).

800-899 Courses for graduate program credit but taught as duel level with the appropriate undergraduate course number assigned. For students enrolled in Master’s or Post Baccalaureate Teacher Certification programs only. Undergraduate students cannot enroll in graduate level courses.

900-999 Courses assigned as graduate level courses. For students enrolled in Master’s or Post Baccalaureate Teacher Certification programs only. Undergraduate students cannot enroll in graduate level courses.

Return to top of page

Course Pass/Fail Policy: Students wishing to pursue a course as Pass/Fail must declare their intent by filing out a Request for Course Pass/Fail Form at the Office of the University Registrar during the Course Add/Drop period.  The request will be reviewed and the student notified within two business days if the request is denied.

P/F = (Pass/Fail) Matriculated undergraduate students attending day or continuing education division are permitted to take up to two (2) fall or spring courses on a pass-fail basis, subject to the following conditions:

  1. Only students who have successfully completed 16 course-credits or more are eligible to take a course on a pass/fail basis.
  2. Only one (1) course may be taken on a pass/fail basis in any semester.
  3. No course may be taken on a pass/fail basis if it is part of the twelve general education course requirements, or a major requirement including major-related, or if the course is within the major department.
  4. A student may not choose the pass/fail option when repeating a course.
  5. A student must declare whether a course is pass/fail by the last day of the Course Add/Drop period. The student taking a course on a pass/fail basis will notify the University Registrar by the end of that day. Once this has been done, the student may not change status. A student is eligible for Dean’s List if one of four courses has "P/F status."
  6. A pass grade grants the student course credit but does not count in computing the student’s QPA. A failed grade counts as a course attempted with zero points.
  7. At the completion of the course when the grade is turned in by the instructor, the University Registrar will convert the letter grade and record only "P" (pass) or "F" (fail) on the permanent record. The original letter grade is kept by the University Registrar and may be released only with the written permission of the student.
  8. Pass/Fail will be interpreted in accordance with the present grading system. "F" will be fail and all other grades will be pass.

Return to top of page

Course Prerequisites: It is the student’s responsibility to be aware of and have met prerequisites prior to attempting any course. Course prerequisites may be found in the University catalog as part of the course description.

General Education Requirements: Students will meet the General Education Requirements as stated in the University catalog during the year they entered the University. Those students who matriculated prior to the Fall 1997 semester will follow the "Group" general education (GenEd) requirements while those students matriculating into the University for the Fall 1997 or subsequent semester will be required to follow the "Goal" GenEd requirements.

The general education requirement is intended to provide breadth in the baccalaureate degree program to foster student learning beyond a single, narrow discipline or field. General education is designed to facilitate the increase of knowledge, an appreciation for learning in a broad context, the ability to relate new information to what one has previously learned, the capacity to judge information rather than to simply accept it, and the facility to use what one learns in a realistic and logical manner. In addition, the general education requirement is designed to help students to acquire the ability:

  • To communicate (write, speak, and listen) clearly and effectively,
  • to think critically, quantitatively, and creatively, and
  • to locate and to process information

For more information on the Goal GenEd requirements, view the current Undergraduate Catalog.

Return to top of page

Graduation Participation: Beginning with the Winter 2011 and Spring 2011 Commencement Ceremonies, all students must complete all degree requirements in order to participate in Commencement.
Effective for the May 2011 Graduation Date:  Completion of a Baccalaureate Degree for May 2011 at Framingham State University requires that all students achieve a minimum 2.00 quality point average in their major requirements, including major-related courses taken outside of the home department in fulfillment of major requirements as well as University residency requirements.
For the Spring Ceremony in May: Undergraduate students must attend a mandatory rehearsal (generally held on the Thursday before Commencement). Participation in the Commencement ceremony does not constitute conferral of the degree. Similarly, inclusion of a student’s name on such publications as the Commencement program does not confirm eligibility for the degree. To be eligible for graduation honors, a student must have completed all degree requirements, which includes having taken a minimum of sixteen (16) course-credits at Framingham State University.

Graduation Rate Information: As part of the Student Right to Know Act, the University is required to publish the graduation rate for students. The rate is based on a cohort of first-time full-time students in a given fall semester (part-time students, transfer, or re-admits are not included as part of the cohort) and is determined on how many of the students in the cohort completed the baccalaureate after six (6) years.

For the Fall 1998 Cohort, the graduation rate is 44%.
For the Fall 1999 Cohort, the graduation rate is 42%.
For the Fall 2000 Cohort, the graduation rate is 50%.
For the Fall 2001 Cohort, the graduation rate is 43%.
For the Fall 2002 Cohort, the graduation rate is 49%.
For the Fall 2003 Cohort, the graduation rate is 52%.
For the Fall 2004 Cohort, the graduation rate is 51%.
For the Fall 2005 Cohort, the graduation rate is 52%.
For the Fall 2006 Cohort, the graduation rate is 52%.
For the Fall 2007 Cohort, the graduation rate is 50%.
For the Fall 2008 Cohort, the graduation rate is 51%.

Return to top of page

Independent/Directed Study Registration: Independent Studies allow students the opportunity to study an area in greater depth than the content of existing course offerings.  A Directed or Independent Study may also be offered when a course existing in the University Catalog is not offered during the semesters the student is enrolled at the University.  To enroll in a Directed of Independent Study, a student:

  1. Must be a matriculated undergraduate student in a declared major (undeclared students are not eligible).
  2. Must have a minimum of 16 course-credits completed.
  3. Must have an overall GPA of 2.75 and a GPA of 3.00 in the major.
  4. May enroll in only on Directed or Independent Study in a given semester.
  5. May enroll in no more than three Directed or Independent Studies within undergraduate degree requirements.
  6. May be subject to stricter guidelines in the major department.  Check appropriate course description for the major in question for additional criteria.
  7. May be granted exceptions by department chairs in special circumstances.

Return to top of page

Math Placement Re-Testing: Re-Tests for Math Placement will be given during the semester. Please contact CASA in Peirce Hall for exact dates and times.

Return to top of page

Payment of University Charges: All charges must be paid, or arrangements for payment made with the Student Accounts Office by the indicated due date on the billing statement. Failure to comply will result in removal from classes, as well as from room placement in the residence halls. Vacated places in classes and rooms will then be made available to students on waiting lists. To be enrolled, it will be necessary for the student to re-register for classes through the Course Add/Drop period at the beginning of the semester and to reapply for resident hall living. 

Return to top of page

President's & Dean's List Eligibility (Fall and Spring semesters only):
Effective beginning Fall 2013:
President's List. A matriculated undergraduate student carrying a minimum of three (3) credit-bearing Day Division and/or Continuing Education Division courses earns a place on this honor roll (published after the end of each fall and spring semester) after earning a semester Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.30 or higher for each of three consecutive semesters. The student must maintain this average to remain on this list.

Dean's List. A matriculated undergraduate student carrying a minimum of three (3) credit-bearing Day Division and/or Continuing Education Division courses earns a place on this honor roll (published after the end of each fall and spring semester) for each semester in which the student earns a semester GPA of 3.30 or higher. A student is eligible for the Dean's List if one of the courses has "P/F' status.

Return to top of page

Registration Course Limit: Students may register for a maximum of four (4) course-credits during the advanced registration period - this includes MATH 095 General Mathematics (a non-credit course). Additional courses may be added, if available, during the Course Add/Drop Period at the start of the semester. Students may take up to five (5) course-credits only with the written consent of the advisor and the major department chair. This process is intended to assure all students a fair opportunity to secure regular course loads.The minimum academic load for full time attendance per semester is three (3) course-credits.


The new conditions for withdrawing from a course after the Course Add/Drop period apply to courses taken during the Fall 1996 semester and after. Students who withdraw between the third and ninth week (extended beyond the previous eighth week) of a regular semester (or for a quarter course, no later than the fourth full week of the quarter) will incur no academic penalty as far as the grade point average is concerned but will have a notation of "W" on the permanent records (instead of the previous "WP" or "WF"). See the 1997-98 College catalog, page 12, for additional information.

Enrolling in a Continuing Education Division Course as part of the Full-Time Academic Load. In the event that students desire to take a course in the Continuing Education Division because one of an equivalent type is not available in the Day Division, they may take the Continuing Education course and count it as part of their full-time academic load.


Academic Work through FSC Continuing Education. Effective Summer 1991: Courses toward degree completion taken by Day Division students through FSC Continuing Education Division, will be posted to the student's Day Division permanent academic record. Course Approval Forms are no longer needed for FSC courses, exemptions are as follows:

  1. Courses deemed academically inappropriate for Day Division programs (by the Department offering the courses) will not be posted to the student's Day Division permanent record.
  2. Students suspended from the Day Division, and are recommended to take Continuing Education Division courses as a non-matriculated student may continue to do so. Such courses will not be posted to the student's Day Division permanent record until the individual has applied and been accepted for readmission to the University.

Return to top of page

Required Declaration of Major: Students are not permitted to register for their junior year without having declared a major. Students may not revert to Undeclared status once junior standing has been attained. An exception is permitted for transfer students admitted to junior standing as Undeclared. Such students may delay declaration of a major for one semester.

Return to top of page

Student Biographical Information: The University maintains some biographical data on all of it’s students. If there are changes in your biographical data (name, marital status, address (either permanent or local), next of kin, parent's address, etc.), please notify the Office of the University Registrar, in writing, as soon as possible, so University records may be kept up to date.

Return to top of page

Voter Registration: Voter registration forms will be available at the Office of the University Registrar. For students from other states who desire to vote in a state other than Massachusetts, the Federal mail-in affidavit for voter registration or mail-in form supplied by that state may be used. Forms for this purpose are now available in the Office of the University Registrar or the student may contact the appropriate state election official to receive the state form or call or write the Massachusetts Elections Division, Room 1705, McCormack Building, One Ashburton Place, Boston, MA 02108, (617) 7272828 or 1-800462-8683.

Framingham State University

100 State Street

PO Box 9101

Framingham, MA 01701-9101


Phone: 508-620-1220