Request More Information
Apply Now
Get Answers
Director of International Education
College Center Room 518

Attend a study abroad information session to learn more about study abroad.

Check out our Faculty Led Study Tours Abroad!


 Transfer Students

How to Enter the U.S. to Study as an F-1 Student

IF YOU ARE OUTSIDE THE U.S. and wish to enter the U.S. to study and require an F-1 student visa, you must meet the following requirements:

  • First, you must be admitted to a full-time program of study. Part-time study is not permitted while on an F-1 student visa.
  • Additionally, you must be able to show that you will have sufficient funds to meet the tuition, fees, and living expenses for your program.
    You must also be able to show that you will have sufficient funds to meet the living expenses of your dependent family members, if applicable.

Students outside of the U.S. who wish to enter to begin a full-time program at FSU must follow the procedure outlined below:

1. Once you have been admitted to FSU as a full-time student and confirmed your intent to enroll, you will receive a Form I-20 from FSU (for F-1 status).

2. Once you have received your I-20, apply for an F-1 student visa from a U.S. consulate, preferably in your home country.
Once you have received your I-20, you must apply for an F-1 student visa from a U.S. consulate in your country of citizenship or country of permanent residence.

  • New students applying for a visa with a SEVIS form I-20 will be required to pay a $200 fee.The SEVIS fee must be paid at least 3 business days prior to a visa interview or the filing of the change of status application in the U.S.

    In order to pay, Form I-901 must be completed and submited along with the payment via mail or the Internet. Citizens of Canada or Bermuda must pay at least 3 days prior to their entry to the U.S. A receipt is issued via mail or can be printed by the student or exchange visitor from the Internet. This receipt can be brought to the visa interview or submitted with a change of status application as further evidence of payment. For more detailed information, please visit the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement website.

Visa processing times and procedures may vary depending on location and time of year. View the U.S. Department of State's Visa Services website for more information.

  • DO NOT enter the U.S. as a B-1 visitor for business, B-2 visitor for pleasure or B-2 "prospective student" if you intend to be a full-time student at FSU. You are prohibited from studying in the U.S. under these categories. If you intend to study, you should enter as an F-1 student.

3. Enter the United States no earlier than 30 days before and no later than the beginning date indicated on your I-20.

  • When entering the U.S., you must carry a passport valid at least six months into the future, your F-1 entry visa, your I-20, and copies of your admission letter and financial documents, and evidence that you have paid the SEVIS fee if you are a new student.

  • Upon entry, an immigration inspector will review your documents, and give an I-94 departure record granting you F-1 student status for duration of status ("F-1 D/S").

  • Canadian citizens must have a valid passport to enter the U.S. Please note that a visa stamp is not required for Canadian citizens. Upon entry to the U.S., a Canadian student must obtain an I-94 arrival/departure record that verifies his/her F-1 student status.

  • You are required to attend the institution indicated on your F-1 visa, if you are entering the U.S. for the first time on the basis of that visa.

  • Please be prepared for US-VISIT, a program, to monitor the entry and exit of all nonimmigrants to the U.S. At the port of entry, you will be fingerprinted and photographed. See US-VISIT entry instructions (PDF) for more information.

4. Following your arrival at FSU, check in with the OIE. The U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) requires that all new and transfer F-1students report their arrival to FSU. You must attend a mandatory Orientation Workshop that will be scheduled prior to the beginning of classes.

F-1 Transfer of Immigration Sponsorship to Framingham State University

If you are already in the U.S. as an F-1 student at another institution, you must complete a transfer of your immigration sponsorship if you intend to transfer to begin a new full-time program of study at FSU. Follow the procedure below if you wish to transfer your immigration sponsorship to study as a full-time student at FSU.

1. Complete an F-1 TRANSFER INFORMATION FORM. If you are an F-1 student currently in the United States at another institution, you must have your current international student advisor complete an F-1 TRANSFER FORM. Arrange to have your current international student advisor send the F-1 Transfer Form directly to the OIE. In order to issue a transfer I-20 form, your former school must release your SEVIS record to Framingham State University. It will take approximately two weeks to issue a transfer I-20 from the date the office has access to your SEVIS record.

2. Once you have received your I-20, you must attend the orientation workshop that will be conducted before the beginning of the semester.


If you are currently in the U.S. but not in F-1 status, you may or may not need to change your status in order to pursue full-time studies at Framingham State University. Please consult with OIE in order to discuss your individual situation.

  • If you are presently in a different nonimmigrant status but wish to obtain F-1 status, please read our instructions on Change of Status.

Framingham State University

100 State Street

PO Box 9101

Framingham, MA 01701-9101


Phone: 508-620-1220