The Department offers courses leading to a Bachelor of Science in Computer Science.
The Department offers courses leading to a Bachelor of Science in Computer Science with concentrations in Computer Science and Information Systems, and minors in Computer Science and Information Systems. The goal of these programs is to train graduates for successful careers in industry and to prepare students for graduate studies.
Students are encouraged to participate in the full-time Cooperative education option that allows them to participate in two full-time 6 month co-ops. Alternatively a student can elect to register for a part-time internship during their regular academic semester for up to two course credits in a single semester. These opportunities enhance the academic experience with hands-on training, provide real-world problem solving, and (normally)students receive compensation in the process. Such experience is also beneficial in seeking post-graduate employment.
New and Notable
Build your professional network
- 9/29 STEM Career Presentations
- 2:30-3:20 ZOOM
- 4-4:30 ZOOM- Employer Advice
- (register with Career Services)
- 9/30 Suitable Solutions kick-off
- 1:30-2:15 Handshake
- 10/5 STEM Virtual Job & Internship Fair
- register with Career Services
- 10/6 Business Virtual Job & Internship Fair
- register with Career Services
Hack.Diversity is a FREE 8-month career development program for black, Latinx, and/or otherwise underrepresented tech talent to launch and advance technical careers in the Boston innovation economy.
- deadline to apply for 2020/2021 is September 28
Computer Science Student
"Joining Hack Diversity is one of the best decisions I've ever made. I didn’t know what to expect but after the interview, I came to realize that this is something I've wanted all along. Over the past months, Hack Diversity has shown us that being the minority can be an opportunity to make a breakthrough!
I was connected to WordStream as a 2020 summer intern to practice the skills I learned at FSU and Hack Diversity. As a Hack Diversity alumni, I encourage all underrepresented students to join the Hack Diversity program for a chance to take a step toward your career journey."
The mission of the Department of Computer Science is to provide high-quality computer science education through theoretical and hands-on training in analyzing, designing, and implementing software and information systems. Internship and co-op opportunities are supplied. The department helps students enhance their critical thinking ability, communication skills, and understanding of professional, ethical, and social responsibilities. Graduates are prepared for successful careers and receive a strong foundation for life-long learning.
- Analyze a problem, and identify and define the appropriate computing requirements
- Design a computer-based system, process, component or program to meet the specifications
- Implement and test a computer-based design using current techniques, skills and tools
- Apply mathematical foundations, algorithmic principles and computer science theory in the design of computer-based systems in a way that demonstrates comprehension of the tradeoffs involved in design choices
- Function effectively in teams to accomplish a common goal
- Understand professional, ethical, legal, security and social issues and responsibilities
- Use oral and written communication effectively
- Recognize the need for continuing professional development