Degree Application: All students are required to complete a formal degree application. The Notice of Candidacy Form is available online or at the Student Services Center, located McCarthy Campus Center, Rm 515.
The University has four (4) graduation dates and the degree application must be submitted as follows:
- September 1st for the December 31st graduation date
- October 1st for the January 31st graduation date
- February 1st for the May graduation date
- May 1st for the August 31st graduation date
No student’s name may appear on the graduation list unless all financial debts to the University have been settled. Conferral of a degree occurs only when the Registrar finalizes the student’s academic record and confirms that all degree requirements have been met.
Please note that all students must complete all degree requirements prior to the ceremony in order to participate in Commencement. This includes having completed a minimum of 32 course-credits along with a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.00 in both the major and for the overall degree.
Course Residency Requirements
To complete the University course residency requirement, a minimum of eight (8) course credits (32 semester hours) must be taken at Framingham State University.
To complete a major requirement, a minimum of five (5) course credits (20 semester hours) in the major department must be taken at Framingham State University.
To complete a minor requirement, a minimum of three (3) course credits (12 semester) hours must be taken at Framingham State University.
To be a candidate for graduation honors, a student must have completed all degree requirements and must have completed a minimum of sixteen (16) course-credits at Framingham State University. The baccalaureate degree is conferred with honors upon a student with a final cumulative point average of:
- Cum Laude: 3.25 - 3.59
- Magna Cum Laude: 3.60 - 3.79
- Summa Cum Laude: 3.80 - 4.00
All students graduating with honors will receive a gold honor tassel. Honor tassels will be distributed at the Commencement Rehearsal.
If you have any unresolved obligations such as library fees, student loan exit interviews, bills at the Business Office or residence hall damage, diplomas will be held until the obligation is resolved. Take care to resolve these matters prior to the end of final exams.
Off-Campus Course Work
If you are taking a course at another college this semester you must have already submitted an Off-Campus Course Approval Form (prior to enrolling in the course) to the Office of the University Registrar. It is your responsibility to make arrangements for an Official Transcript to be forwarded from that college to the Office of the University Registrar at Framingham State University. You may become ineligible to participate in the Spring Commencement Ceremony if grade confirmations are not received by (date TBD).
Commencement Ceremony Participation
Participation in the Commencement ceremony does not constitute conferral of the degree. Similarly, inclusion of a student's name on such publications as the Commencement program does not confirm eligibility for the degree. Completion of a Baccalaureate Degree at Framingham State University requires that all students achieve a minimum 2.00 quality point average in their major requirements, including major-related course taken outside of the home department in fulfillment of major requirements as well as University requirements. All students must complete all degree requirements in order to participate in Commencement ceremonies. Appeals of their requirement with regards to participation in the Spring Commencement ceremony may be made only on one of the following basis:
1) The student has no more than one (1) course remaining to complete degree requirements, has a minimum grade point average of 2.00, and has a highly extenuating, documented circumstance that would support a hardship exception to the requirement.
2) The student has no more than one (1) course remaining to complete degree requirements, has a minimum grade point average of 2.50, and can document that this coursework will likely be completed no later than August 31st following the spring commencement in which the student wishes to participate.
Students wishing to appeal on one of these bases must do so in writing (a link to the appeal form follows). The appeal must be accompanied by a printout of the student's degree audit and other appropriate documentation and submitted to the Vice President for Enrollment and Student Development no later than May 1st. Decisions on such appeals will be made within one week of their submittal and are final.
All students who wish to participate in the Spring Commencement Ceremony MUST attend the rehearsal held on Thursday, May 21, 2020. Check-in is at the Athletic Center Gymnasium unless otherwise noted. Mark this date on your calendar and do not be late. If you do not attend rehearsal, you CANNOT participate in the Spring Commencement Ceremony. Exceptions will not be made.
COLLEGE OF ARTS AND HUMANITIES, COLLEGE OF BUSINESS, COLLEGE OF EDUCATION: Rehearsal is Thursday, May 21, 2020, 9:30 am
COLLEGE OF SOCIAL AND BEHAVIORAL SCIENCES, COLLEGE OF STEM: Rehearsal is Thursday, May 21, 2020, 12:30 pm
Academic Regalia (Caps and Gowns)
Participation in the ceremony requires that a cap and gown be worn. The base cost of the baccalaureate regalia package is $31. This includes the customized FSU gown, cap, and black tassel.
Purchasing options for graduates:
- Walk into the University bookstore between April 18-May 24 and purchase on the spot for $31. See a store associate for assistance.
- Order and pay online by March 15 at https://framingham.shopoakhalli.com and choose the option to pick up at the bookstore between April 18-May 24 for $31. Then see a store associate for assistance. Valid ID will be required for pickup.
- Order and pay online by May 10 at https://framingham.shopoakhalli.com and choose the option to ship to home for $46.95 (which includes an additional shipping and handling fee of $15.95)
All students will be wearing regalia made from 100% post-consumer recycled plastic bottles! In the effort to remain green on campus, the line of graduation wear - named GreenWeaver - is made of fabric spun from molten plastic pellets. Fewer plastic bottles will be choking our landfills because for every Framingham State student walking at commencement, an average of 23 plastic bottles will be used to produce each cap and gown. With some 60 million plastic bottles going into U.S. landfills every day, Framingham State is helping to turn those bottles into keepsakes.
If you are interested in purchasing rings or announcements, you can contact the Jostens Company. More information is on their website, college.jostens.com. They will also be on campus for the Graduation Fair.
Date: Sunday, May 24, 2020
Location: DCU Center Arena (50 Foster St, Worcester, MA 01608)
Time: 8:00AM - Doors will open to the DCU Arena
9:30AM - The academic procession will begin, family and guests should be seated by
10:00AM - The Commencement Ceremony will begin and will last approximately two
and a half hours.
Commencement Speaker: tba
The DCU Center does not own or operate parking facilities but there are several garages and flat lots located within walking distance of the Arena and Convention Center. Below is a list of those closest for your convenience:
- Mercantile Center Garage: 201 Commercial St.
- Major Taylor Blvd. Municipal Garage: 30 Major Taylor Blvd.
- Dwight Foster Parking: 27 Waldo St.
- First American Realty Parking: 100 MLK Jr. Blvd. (formerly Central St.)
- Pearl-Elm Municipal Garage: 20 Pearl St.
- Worcester Common Garage: Eaton Place
Parking prices vary depending upon the event and time spent in garage.
Ample amounts of handicapped accessible parking spaces are located around the facility at designated areas. Legal placards are required to park in these spaces.
Entering the DCU Center
Students must check in at 8:00AM in the South Exhibition Hall via Door 2.
All family and guests must enter the DCU Center Arena through the main entrance at the intersection of Major Taylor Blvd and Foster Street.
To ensure the safety and comfort of all guests attending events at the DCU Center, event attendees, including graduates may be subject to a search upon entering the facility. Please note that any persons with prohibited articles will be turned away at the entrances.
- Any bags measuring greater than 14" X 16" will NOT be permitted into the arena, such as backpacks, knapsacks, luggage, parcels, briefcases, tablets and like articles. Diaper bags will be allowed and will be searched.
- Firearms, explosives, pepper spray, or other weapons.
- Thermoses, coolers, or other liquid containers except in cases of medical need, as certified by a physician.
- Helium balloons, laser pens, artificial noisemakers, air horns, or megaphones.
- Large signs, flags, poles, banners, or laser pointers.
- Promotional items with commercial slogans or identifications.
- Outside food and beverages are not allowed into the Arena or Convention Center.
- Alcoholic beverages, drugs, or illegal substances.
- Non-service animals.
With the exception of seats that are reserved for participating faculty, alumni, graduates, and special guests of the University all seating will be considered open.
If you have a guest in a wheelchair or with specific needs that require seating considerations, he/she can opt to sit in accessible seating areas as designated by the DCU Center. One family member will be allowed to accompany that individual in the accessible seating area, in order to maximize seating opportunities for all guests and attendees. American Sign Language interpreters will be visible in all locations from projection monitors.
During the ceremony, access to the stage area for picture taking or video taping by guests will be prohibited. A professional photographer will take an individual photo of each graduate and another one as they shake hands with the President of the University. They will receive a secure link to view their photos via email and also be mailed a paper copy of their proofs on an order form via US mail. Please note, everyone will be photographed and there is absolutely no obligation to purchase.