Commencement Ceremony Participation
Prior to graduation, you must have completed all degree requirements and any outstanding debts to the University. Financial aid recipients must complete an exit interview. Students with Perkins Loans are notified by mail of the exit interview dates. Students with Stafford Loans and No-Interest Loans must contact Ms. Traci Hickey in the Financial Aid Office, McCarthy Campus Center, 508-626-4536, to make sure all paperwork is complete.
Please fill out the Graduate Candidacy for Graduation/Comprehensive Exam Form and return it to the Office of Graduate Studies in Dwight Hall, Room 202 or mail the form with your check to the address listed. Should you have any questions please contact Ms. Kimberly Hardy by email at email@example.com, or by phone at 508-626-4558.
Academic Regalia (Caps and Gowns)
Participation in the ceremony requires that a cap and gown be worn. The base cost of the graduate regalia package is $41.50. This includes the customize FSU gown, cap, hood, and black tassel. The ship-to-home option cost $57.45 (which includes an additional shipping and handling fee of $15.95)
• The Oak Hall website, https://framingham.shopoakhalli.com, is open for ship-to-home orders through June 30, 2020. Oak Hall has emailed the returns policy directly to those students whose orders have already shipped in case anyone wants to return them.
• Once the campus is able to reopen next academic year, the ship-to-store option will be added back to the website.
• Customers who have ordered their regalia for in-store pickup may cancel and get a refund anytime before they receive the items by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Questions can be directed to the FSU Bookstore Manager, Keith Jacques, Tel: 508-626-4595 Fax: 508-820-1255; email@example.com www.framinghamstore.com
All students will be wearing regalia made from 100% post-consumer recycled plastic bottles! In the effort to remain green on campus, the line of graduation wear - named GreenWeaver - is made of fabric spun from molten plastic pellets. Fewer plastic bottles will be choking our landfills because for every Framingham State student walking at commencement, an average of 23 plastic bottles will be used to produce each cap and gown. With some 60 million plastic bottles going into U.S. landfills every day, Framingham State is helping to turn those bottles into keepsakes.
On Commencement Day, please wear your cap and gown. Mortar boards should be worn squarely on the head (not tilting backwards) and your tassel should be on the left. You will carry your hood into the ceremony as you proceed in, and will be hooded by your Program Coordinator as your name is read and you walk across the stage.
There is no rehearsal for the Graduate Commencement.
Date: postponed, May 23, 2021
Location: DCU Center Arena (50 Foster St, Worcester, MA 01608)
The DCU Center does not own or operate parking facilities but there are several garages and flat lots located within walking distance of the Arena and Convention Center. Parking prices vary depending upon the event and time spent in garage. Ample amounts of handicapped accessible parking spaces are located around the facility at designated areas. Legal placards are required to park in these spaces. Below is a list of closest parking options for your convenience:
- Mercantile Center Garage: 201 Commercial St.
- Major Taylor Blvd. Municipal Garage: 30 Major Taylor Blvd.
- Dwight Foster Parking: 27 Waldo St.
- First American Realty Parking: 100 MLK Jr. Blvd. (formerly Central St.)
- Pearl-Elm Municipal Garage: 20 Pearl St.
- Worcester Common Garage: Eaton Place
Entering the DCU Convention Center
All graduates, family, and guests must enter the DCU Convention Center through the main entrance (Door 1) located on Major Taylor Blvd.
Graduates must check in at 1:00PM in the Showcase Corner (Door 1)
To ensure the safety and comfort of all attending events at the DCU Center, event attendees may be subject to a search upon entering the facility. Please note that any person with prohibited articles will be turned away at the entrances.
- Any bags measuring greater than 14" X 16" will NOT be permitted into the convention center such as backpacks, knapsacks, luggage, parcels, briefcases, tablets and like articles. Diaper bags will be allowed and will be searched.
- Firearms, explosives, pepper spray, or other weapons.
- Thermoses, coolers, or other liquid containers except in cases of medical need, as certified by a physician.
- Helium balloons, laser pens, artificial noisemakers, air horns, or megaphones.
- Large signs, flags, poles, banners, or laser pointers.
- Promotional items with commercial slogans or identifications.
- Outside food and beverages are not allowed into the Arena or Convention Center.
- Alcoholic beverages, drugs, or illegal substances.
- Non-service animals.
With the exception of seats that are reserved for participating faculty, alumni, graduates, and special guests of the University all seating will be considered open.
If you have a guest in a wheelchair or with specific needs that require seating considerations, please see an event staff member for assistance. American Sign Language interpreters will be visible in all locations from projection monitors.
During the ceremony, access to the stage area for picture taking or videotaping by guests will be prohibited. A professional photographer will take individual photos of each graduate as they are hooded and a second photo will be taken as they shake hands with the President of the University. A third photo will be taken after they receive their diploma but before returning to their seat. Graduates will receive a secure link to view their photos via email within and also be mailed a paper copy of their proofs on an order form via US mail. Please note, everyone will be photographed and there is absolutely no obligation to purchase.