Bachelor of Science (B.S.) with major in Business & Information Technology
College of Business – Department of Management and Business & Information TechnologyBachelor of Science (B.S.) with major in Business Information & Technology
(Home Department: Management and Business & Information Technology)
This major is a collaboration with the Management and Business & Information Technology and Computer Science departments and provides students with knowledge in both the business and information technology fields. The intent of this program is to prepare the Business and Information Technology program can “bridge the gap” between technology and business. As entry level workers, they are likely to qualify for jobs as systems analysts, Project Management Office administrators, technical trainers, quality assurance analysts and similar roles. As experienced workers, they are likely to move into Project Management, Delivery Assurance and IT Management roles.
The General Education Requirement
All students must satisfy a general education requirement consisting of eleven (11) courses outside of the major department. The General Education Domain II-A (Analysis. Modeling, and Problem Solving) requirement is satisfied through the completion of the major in Business & Information Technology.
Courses may have specified conditions for enrollment, such as prior completion of less advanced courses, permission of the instructor, or appropriate placement test scores. Students should refer to course descriptions in the department listings for prerequisite requirements.
Students are encouraged but not required to select a minor in another discipline that may enhance the students’ preparation for their individual employment or graduate school goals. Students should discuss these possibilities with their academic advisors.
Required Business core courses (13):
- ACCT 220 Introduction to Financial Accounting
- ACCT 221 Introduction to Managerial Accounting
- BUIS 411 Information Systems Research
- ECON 101 Principles of Macroeconomics
- ECON 102 Principles of Microeconomics
- FINA 248 Managerial Finance
- MGMT 215 Legal Environment of Business
- MGMT 280 Organizational Behavior
- MGMT 372 Operations and Project Management
- MRKT 181 Marketing Principles
- QUAN 201 Quantitative Modeling for Business and Economics
- QUAN 202 Statistical Analysis for Business and Economics
Required Computer Science core courses (6):
- CSCI 120 Introduction to Information Technology
- CSCI 130 Introduction to Programming
- CSCI 258 Introduction to Operating Systems Using UNIX
- CSCI 360 Database Management
- CSCI 376 Networking Technologies
Required Mathematics course (1):
- MATH 123 College Algebra*
*Students with a score on the mathematics placement exam which allows them to take MATH 200 Precalculus may substitute MATH 200 Precalculus, MATH 215 Finite Mathematics, or MATH 219 Calculus I for MATH123 College Algebra.
Capstone Requirement (1):
- BUIS 460 Information Systems Management
Effective as of the 2018-2019 Undergraduate Catalog