Frequently Asked Questions

If your question does not appear above or for further information, email the International Education Center at cedronecenter [at] (cedronecenter[at]framingham[dot]edu) or call 508-626-4964.

1. I have not heard of Framingham State University, where is it located?

Framingham State University is the first public college for the education of teachers in the United States and is located 20 miles west of Boston, Massachusetts.

2. What are the admission requirements?

- Signed and completed FSU application (Application Form).

- An autobiographical sketch of past educational work and experience (a professional resume is acceptable). Please include a general statement about what you teach and include the grade level, class size and major concepts taught.

- 500 word essay that outlines his/her personal philosophy of teaching and education.

- Two letters of recommendation and cover sheet (Cover Sheet).

  • Those recommending the student should scan/email the completed cover sheet and written letter to (cedronecenter [at] (cedronecenter[at]framingham[dot]edu)).
  • One letter should come from a person in a supervisory role over the applicant such as a principal, director, department head, etc., and the other should be for a person who can attest to the applicant doing graduate level work.
    • When possible, letters should be written on organizational letterhead.

- Official undergraduate degree transcript. Transcripts must show the title of the degree earned and the date the degree was conferred. If one holds a foreign degree, please refer to question #6 below.

  • Option 1) If your degree institution offers official electronic copies sent by a secured provider (e.g., National Student Clearinghouse, Parchment, etc.) you may have them sent directly to the Cedrone Center email address. Electronic transcripts directly from students will not be accepted.  
  • Option 2) Ask your previous institution to send an official transcript directly to our office in a sealed envelope.
    • Mail to: Joyce M. Fahey, Director, Office of Graduate Studies/Cedrone International Center, Dwight Hall, Room 111, 100 State Street, Framingham, MA  01701
    • *Please do not send transcripts to the Graduate School


Applicants may submit certain application materials as a PDF, DOC or JPEG file via email to (cedronecenter [at] (cedronecenter[at]framingham[dot]edu)).

Application documents for the International program are not submitted through the online Framingham application portal.

TEST OF ENGLISH AS A FOREIGN LANGUAGE (TOEFL) - The TOEFL may be waived for students whose native or academic language (K-12) is English or students who have successfully completed at least two full academic years in a college/university in the United States of America, United Kingdom, Australian, New Zealand or Canada. All other applicants must take the TOEFL/IELTS and have the official test results sent directly to the Office of Graduate Admissions/Cedrone Center. 

Minimum Score Requirement

  • Paper-based: 580
  • Internet-based: 85
  • IELTS: 6.5

3. When does one apply to the program?

Generally, one would apply at the beginning of a program cycle. The program is designed to offer one complete program cycle at a designated site. If there is further interest at a location to continue the program, a new cycle would begin.

4. Is this program considered part time or full time? 

Sites that offer two courses a semester are considered part time.  Sites that offer three courses a semester are considered full time.

5. Does the program accept a foreign undergraduate degree?

Applicants holding a foreign undergraduate degree from outside of the United States, must have a degree evaluation completed. Applicants must contact one of the approved evaluation agencies which are listed at, { }. Please request a course-by-course with GPA evaluation to determine equivalency to a U.S. bachelor’s degree.

  • SpanTran has created a custom application for Framingham students. You can access that application by clicking here.
  • International Education Evaluations has created a custom application for Framingham students. You can access that application by clicking here.

6. Is this an online degree program?

 No. The courses are held in a hybrid format.  About 4 weeks prior to the on-site part of the course, you would start working on pre-course assignments.  Then the instructor travels to the site to teach for 40 contact hours in the classroom.

7. Is financial aid available for this program?

Our program is brought in with the help of a nonprofit agency at a very reduced cost. There is no further financial aid available for our program.

8. Does the program allow for transfer credit?

A maximum of two graduate level courses, completed with a grade of B- or better, may be transferred into the program with prior approval of the International Education Graduate Committee. The student must be able to show, on an official transcript, that each course was taken for 3 or 4 semester hours of graduate credit, taken within the last five years and received a grade of B- or better. From the course catalog of that institution, the course description should closely parallel the course description of the same course at Framingham State University. Official transcript and course description should be submitted with program application. Professional Development courses, even at the graduate level, will not be accepted in transfer toward a master’s degree. Transfer credit will not be given for life experiences, noncredit activities, or professional development experiences.

9. Are there library resources available for this program?

Matriculated graduate students are able to access the electronic holdings of the Whittemore Library at Framingham State University. Further details on this procedure, including appropriate passwords will be given to students upon admittance

For your convenience, the library link is provided under Quick Links so you can access the library from anywhere within the web site.

10. Is the GRE required for the graduate program I am interested in?

 The M.Ed. with a concentration in Special Education is the only program that requires the GRE.  If one holds a previous Master’s level degree, the GRE may be waived.

11. What is the timing of the program?

The degree program normally offers four courses annually to coincide with administrative school vacation periods. However, in some locations the program is offered in an after school format during the school year.  Most degree cycles are completed within two years. 

12. Can one travel to another program site to take additional courses?

Once you are a matriculated student, you can take a course at another program site only if you missed a course when it was offered at your host site. Most sites are able to accommodate this arrangement provided their classes are not full. It is the student’s responsibility to pay for all travel related costs to another site.

13. After beginning the program, how does one request an official transcript from Framingham State University?

Order transcripts online

Transcript orders are completed online from the Registrar's section on the University website or by mail.

Framingham State now issues two types of official transcripts. One is an e-transcript that is emailed as a pdf. The other is a paper hard copy that is mailed to an address through the U.S. mail.  The cost is $3.00 for one copy, and payment is done by credit card.

14. When would my graduation date be?

Degrees are conferred in August, December and May of each academic year.

15. Can I order merchandise from the Framingham State University Bookstore?

College items can be purchased from the bookstore. For your convenience, the bookstore link is provided under Quick Links so you can access the bookstore from anywhere within the web site.

16. Does this program hold accreditation?

Framingham State University is fully accredited by the New England Commission of Higher Education (NECHE). 

17. Can I receive teacher licensure in Massachusetts after completing this program?

The programs come with no attachment such as licensure. The programs have been designed for educators working or teaching abroad. Framingham State University has never submitted these programs to the Massachusetts Department of Education for State approval leading to licensure in Massachusetts as this is not the intent of our international programs.

Teacher licensure in the United States is complex and varies from State to State. One should consult the Department of Education in the State in which you are seeking licensure for complete details. Please see listing of each State’s Department of Education for information.