RAMS Transfer Course Equivalencies

Transfer Credit Policy and Equivalencies at FSU

Off-Campus Course Approvals:

To receive credit for courses taken at other regionally-accredited institutions, matriculated students must obtain approval in advance from appropriate department chair(s).

Off-Campus Course Approval forms, available through the Office of the University Registrar, must include the appropriate catalog description from that institution. After obtaining the necessary signature(s) for approval of the course, the student must return the completed form to the Office of the University Registrar. The request will then be rereviewed for course credit transferability in terms of overall transfer credit.

View lists of Transfer Course Equivalencies as maintained by the Office of the University Registrar.

R.A.M.S. (Records Articulation Management System)

The Massachusetts Department of Higher Education (DHE) provides the following tool to search for courses and their equivalents among the 15 Community Colleges, the 9 State Universities, and the University of Massachusetts system.

MassTransfer Course Equivalencies

The online course equivalency database allows you to search for equivalent courses among our public community colleges, state universities and UMass campuses.

It is meant to assist with transfer planning, but the information presented here is subject to change and is not a guarantee of acceptance or transferability. Please see your academic program advisor for official equivalency and transfer information.

Please note: The database will continue to grow as additional course equivalencies are identified. Massachusetts public colleges and universities entered the course equivalency process in stages: first the community colleges, then the state universities, and then the campuses of the University of Massachusetts. As a result, you will see more courses in the database from the colleges and universities that entered the process earlier. 

A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | Y | Z

After the student has completed the approved transfer-in course

Transcripts of these approved courses must be submitted to the Office of the University Registrar within six (6) weeks after the completion of the off-campus course. It is the student's responsibility to have official transcripts sent directly by that institution to the Office of the University Registrar at FSU.

Additional information regarding approval and posting of an Off-Campus course:
Only courses with a final grade of C- (1.70/4.00 scale) or higher will be accepted as transferable. A Pass/Fail grade is NOT transferable (unless the Pass is so noted on the transcript legend as being a C- (1.70/4.00 scale) or higher).

Non-FSU courses will not be included in the overall grade point average. Therefore non-FSU courses will not count as a course repeat.

Transferable courses are subject to conversion to Framingham State University (FSU) course-credits. One (1) FSU course-credit is equivalent to four (4) credit hours. Because each credit hour is the equivalent of 0.25 FSU course-credits, transfer courses that bear 3 credits (forty-five (45) contact hours) are the equivalent of 0.75 courses. 

“Total cumulative transferable semester hours” is defined as any transferable semester hours which were recognized at the time you were admitted into the University along with any other Off-Campus coursework which has been approved after matriculation.

Courses that are 3 semester credits must extend for at least a three-week period and meet a minimum of forty-five contact hours (additional contact hours required for laboratory courses).

Courses that are 4 semester credits must extend for at least a three-week period and meet a minimum of sixty contact hours (additional contact hours required for laboratory courses).

Students may inquire further when seeking approval of courses to be taken at other institutions, and they will be notified of the total number of course credits they have earned from such courses whenever additional approved courses are transferred.