Book Scanning, 360° Photography, and 3D Photography
What is a CZUR Scanner?
The CZUR Scanner is a type of high-quality scanner that can process entire books and convert the pictures it takes into different document formats (Word Docs, PDFs, etc). This allows libraries to digitize their collections and make their materials accessible online. The ET24 scanner works with the Windows, Mac, and Linux operating systems. Framingham State University’s Whittemore Library currently owns two of these scanners: one is located in Special Collections and the other is in the Digital Humanities Center.
How Do You Use the CZUR Scanner?
The CZUR Scanner comes with instructions to set up the scanner and download the accompanying software for your computer. Once the scanner is set up, follow these steps to scan your materials and save them in your preferred file format.
- Getting Started
- Make sure the scanner is on and connected properly to your computer. Open the scanner software on your computer.
- Prepping the Scan
- Place your item on the mat underneath the scanner. Ensure the item is as straight as possible for the best image. Use the overhead light if necessary.
- Make sure that your item is within the parameters of the scanner and that you have selected the correct parameters on the CZUR software. Otherwise, your scan could be cropped or the background could not be cropped.
- Select if you would like the scan to be in color or black and white.
- Choosing your Scan Type
- For a manual scan, step on the foot pedal or use the hand clicker to take a photo.
- For an automatic scan, simply select the “Auto Scan” option on your computer, and the scanner will take the photos for you.
- After Scanning
- Once you are done scanning, return to the scanner menu on your computer. Look at the right side of the screen. There should be a collection of the images that you took. Select the images that you would like to keep or use the “Select all” function to keep all of the images.
- On the left side of the screen, select your preferred file type for your scans. Select where on your computer you would like the files to be saved.
This is the page for the CZUR ET24 Scanner on the CZUR website.
This video has detailed instructions on setting up the CZUR hardware and scanning different materials.
This video explains how to use the scanner’s OCR features.
This webpage includes numerous videos and diagrams displaying how to use the CZUR ET24 Scanner.
What is the Foldio360 Smart Dome?
The Foldio360 Smart Dome is a photography tool that helps take photos of small objects in a 360 degree field of view. The Smart Dome connects to your cell phone via an app. After installing the app, take pictures of the item on your phone while the Smart Dome rotates the object, which will create one photo from multiple angles.
How Do You Use the Foldio360 Smart Dome?
The Foldio360 Smart Dome comes with instructions to help up the hardware and download the accompanying app for your phone. Once the Smart Dome is set up, follow these steps to photograph your materials:
- Before Downloading the App
- Make sure the Smart Dome has Bluetooth access to your phone, as well as camera access.
- Setting Up your Object
- Go to the menu on the app and select “Phone 360”
- Place the object you’d like to photograph on the crosshairs of the Smart Dome.
- Adjust the turntable using the app. Turn on the lights. You can also change the focus and speed of the turntable as necessary.
- Take A Photo
- In the app, tap on the red button to start taking your photo. The Smart Dome moves automatically and the app will take photos automatically, so wait until the red progress bar on the app is finished before moving anything.
This is the page for the Foldio360 Smart Dome on the Orangemonkie website.
This playlist demonstrates how to set up the various accessories and use the app’s photo and video functions.
This video demonstrates how to set up the Smart Dome hardware and use the app.
What is the Insta360 X3 360 Camera?
The Insta360 X3 360 camera is a handheld camera that uses two lenses in order to capture 3D images and videos. The camera is waterproof and comes with a Dive Case that allows the user to take pictures and videos underwater. It can take high quality videos, specifically 5.7K (2880p). The photos are also high quality, with 72MP capabilities. This camera is also compatible with the Insta360 app.
What is the Kandao Qoocam Ego 3D Camera?
The Kandao Qoocam Ego 3D Camera is a handheld camera that utilizes two separate lenses to take a 3D picture. It is able to take high-definition videos, specifically a 1920*1080 resolution at 60fps, as well as 4k*6k photos. The photos and videos are stored on an SD card inside of the camera. There is a Quoocam phone app that can connect to the camera as well, which contains a photo album with captured pictures and videos, as well as information about the camera.
Microcomputers and More
What is the ELECROW Raspberry Pi Learning Kit?
The ELECROW Raspberry Pi Learning Kit is a small computer designed to help teach basic aspects of Raspberry Pi, such as coding and computer science fundamentals. This model comes with 21 specialized lessons designed to help the user learn their way around the model. It has 2GB of RAM and is Bluetooth compatible.
What is the Yahboom Robotic Arm?
The Yahboom Robotic Arm is a robot designed to engage with its environment by detecting and grabbing small objects. It uses AI to distinguish between different objects, colors, and even human faces and movements. It can also be programmed to perform custom actions. The robotic arm can be controlled using a phone app, a computer, or the USB gamepad that comes with the kit.
What is the Yahboom Raspberry Pi Robot?
The Yahboom Raspberry Pi Robot is essentially a mobile camera. The design is a small “tank” that can move and climb ontoobjects. Users who know C programming or Python can use it. The robot has a compatible phone app, whichallows the user to move the tank,take pictures, and record videos.
What is a VIVE Pro 2 Headset?
The VIVE Pro 2 Headset is a virtual reality headset, which is a screen that goes over your eyes like a pair of goggles. This headset is designed to be compatible with software that has virtual reality capabilities. By itself, the headset has a 5k resolution, room tracking, and 3D audio headphones. The headset is also compatible with additional hardware, such as handheld VIVE controllers. VIVE Pro 2 Headsets can only be used on Windows 10 or 11 operating systems.
Workstations and Laptops
What is the Dell 5820 Data Science Workstation with Dual A6000 GPUs?
The Dell 5820 Data Science Workstation with Dual A6000 GPUs is a powerful computer that utilizes AI and machine learning. The usage of GPU makes the computer faster than the average computer, making it ideal for high complexity computer science tasks.
Laptops can be loaned out for projects relating to digital humanities.