Art History Major
Framingham State University is an accredited institutional member of the National Association of Schools of Art and Design (NASAD).
The General Education Requirement
All students must satisfy a general education requirement consisting of ten (10) courses outside of the major department. The General Education Domain I-A (Creative Arts) is satisfied through the completion of both Studio Art major and Domain I-B (Humanities) is satisfied through completion of the Art History major.
Courses may have specified conditions for enrollment, such as prior completion of less advanced courses, permission of the instructor, or appropriate placement test scores. Students should refer to course descriptions in the department listings for prerequisite requirements.
For information on portfolio/interview sessions, please refer to the Admissions section of this catalog. Students are required to furnish all personal art materials unless otherwise specified.
Five (6) core requirements consisting of:
- ARTH 270 History of Art I
- ARTH 272 History of Art II
- ARTH 273 Modern Art History
- ARTH 285 The Art of Asia or
- ARTH 288 Latin American Art
- ARTH 383 Contemporary Art History
- ARTH 483 Seminar in the History of Art or
- ARTH 495 Internship in Art History
Eight (6) concentration requirements consisting of:
- Four (4) Art History (ARTH) electives - at least one (1) at the 300-level or above.
- Two (2) Art Studio (ARTS) courses
- Reading knowledge of at least one (1) foreign language (usually French/Italian and German) is recommended for those contemplating graduate programs in Museum Studies, Art Conservation, or Art History.
- Internship in a museum is highly recommended.