Art History Major
Framingham State University is an accredited institutional member of the National Association of Schools of Art and Design (NASAD).
The General Education Requirement
All students must satisfy a general education requirement consisting of ten (10) courses outside of the major department. The General Education Domain I-A (Creative Arts) is satisfied through the completion of both Studio Art major and Domain I-B (Humanities) is satisfied through completion of the Art History major.
Courses may have specified conditions for enrollment, such as prior completion of less advanced courses, permission of the instructor, or appropriate placement test scores. Students should refer to course descriptions in the department listings for prerequisite requirements.
For information on portfolio/interview sessions, please refer to the Admissions section of this catalog. Students are required to furnish all personal art materials unless otherwise specified.
Five (5) core requirements consisting of:
- ARTH 270 History of Art I
- ARTH 272 History of Art II
- ARTH 273 Modern Art History
- ARTH 383 Contemporary Art History
- ARTH 483 Seminar in the History of Art
Eight (8) concentration requirements consisting of:
- Six (6) Art History (ARTH) electives
- Two (2) Art Studio (ARTS) courses
Foreign Language Requirement:
Minimum completion of Elementary II for one (1) foreign language required (0-2 courses).The language requirement for the major may be fulfilled in one of several ways:
- Minimum completion of Elementary II of Foreign Language courses.
- FSU Placement test score equivalent to Elementary II of a language.
- Completion of level 4 in a single language in high school.
- Waiver from the Chair of the Department of World Languages if high school academic language is other than English.
Note: Most graduate programs in Art History require a reading knowledge of German and/or French or Italian. Language study through intermediate level or the addition of a second foreign language is recommended.