International Student Information

Students enrolled in the Intensive English Program (IEP) may be granted full-time student status according to U.S. visa regulations. All international applicants who will need an F-1 visa in order to study full-time in the United States must submit evidence of financial support before an I-20 Certificate of Eligibility can be issued.

The following documents are required for issuance of an I-20 Certificate of Eligibility: 

  • a photocopy of the student's passport and any current visas
  • an official bank letter, affidavit of support, or other documentation, translated into English, verifying that sufficient funds are available to the student for the duration of the study period. The estimated expenses for one year, including tuition, room and board, books and personal needs is $24,000.
After receiving the I-20, students must present it, along with their passport, to the U.S. authorities in their country to obtain a visa.
To allow time for FSU to issue an I-20, completed applications should be received at least three months prior to the beginning of the semester of study. Note: F-1 visa holders must attend at least 18 hours of class per week.

For further questions about an I-20 Certificate of Eligibility, please contact the Executive Director of International Education, Jane Decatur at  

HOW TO APPLY  -   Instructions in Spanish, Portuguese and English

Click here for forms:

Application for Intensive English Language Program (IEP)

Certificate of Finance


  • To be eligible to apply, a student must be at least 17 years of age and must have a high school diploma.
  • Progress in the IEP depends on personal motivation, initiative, language aptitude, and initial English proficiency.
  • Students preparing for academic studies in the U.S. should allow themselves a minimum of two to three terms of advanced ESL training in our program to be fully prepared for academic course work.
  • Admission to the Framingham State University Intensive English Program is not the same as admission to the University. Students seeking admission to the University must contact the Office of Admissions. The University's Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) minimum requirements for admission are:
    • Institutional - 550
    • iBT-79 


The Intensive English Program offers instruction in reading, grammar, vocabulary, academic writing, pronunciation, and TOEFL preparation, as well as content courses that reflect current student interest. Classes are small, permitting individualized instruction and numerous opportunities to use both spoken and written language in real and meaningful situations. Student-centered activities build confidence and maximize learning potential. Emphasis is placed on the production of English-both spoken and written. International students who have not met the TOEFL score requirements for English skills, should register for English Language Intensive Program classes.

Thirteen-week (13) sessions are offered beginning in September (Fall semester) and January (Spring semester). The 12-week summer semester begins in May.

TEACHING STAFF  -  Meet our Faculty

Our experienced instructors are dedicated professionals. Drawing on their own overseas living experiences, they assist students in adjusting to living and learning in a foreign country. Instructors use teaching methods and learning aids which provide and encourage communication practice in a student-centered environment.

Each student who successfully completes the program with satisfactory attendance and progress will receive a document. A student who successfully completes a program with 90% attendance and is promoted to the next level will be awarded a certificate.  It usually takes 2 consecutive semesters or more to master curriculum at each level.

Framingham State University is pleased to offer housing to English Language Program students for the 2019 Spring Semester.  Beginning January 2019, English language students enrolled full-time in our Intensive program are eligible for campus housing. Visit Residence Life for more information.


All full-time students in the English Programs must have health insurance for the whole time they are in the U.S.  All full-time students and those part-time students who have a visa are required to comply with Massachusetts's regulations governing immunization of students before admission to school. This includes proof of required immunizations. Click here for more information about immunization requirements.