Veterans Office

Veterans Services Center

Dedicated in Memory of Capt. Michael S. Haskel '76

Email: Veterans [at] (Veterans[at]Framingham[dot]edu)

Located in Dwight Hall, Room 113. The Veteran Services Center provides a communal space for military veterans, service members, and their family members to study, socialize, relax, and watch television. The Veteran Center provides information about State and Federal benefits available to veterans. Framingham State University dedicated its student Veterans Services Center in honor of alumnus Michael Haskell ’76, a Captain in the U.S. Marine Corps who died in combat in 1983.

Christine Denaro

Christine Denaro

Coordinator of Veteran & Military Services

Office: Dwight Hall, Room 111A
Phone Number: 508-626-4632
Email: veterans [at] (veterans[at]framingham[dot]edu)


Veteran Services Forms

The Incoming Veteran Checklist includes information about applying to the University along with links to required materials that need to be submitted once you have applied for Admission. 

Please note: These web forms are routed to the Office of the University Registrar for review & processing. Should you have questions about the status of the forms, please email the Office of the University Registrar. When doing so, please be sure to use your FSU Student Email address and include your FSU Student ID in the body of the email.  

The Massachusetts Veterans Categorical Tuition Waiver is to be completed by all qualifying Veterans (this excludes Dependents). This form is required to be submitted prior to the start of each semester. 
Note: The first time completing this form please accompany it with the Tuition Residency Classification form and your Service Verification Letter. 

Incoming Veteran Checklist

All veteran students, including Dependents, using (any) VA benefits are required to submit the Enrollment Certification Request at least 30 days prior to the start of the semester you wish to receive VA educational benefits to include Monthly Housing Allowance (MHA) or any authorized stipend according to the benefits you are using. Failure to complete this form in a timely manner may cause a delay in the benefits being issued for that term.


After the initial submission of this form, any changes to course registrations prior to the end of the Course Add/Drop period (see academic calendar for exact date), the student must complete and submit a new form so as to ensure compliance with Veteran Affairs regulations when pursuing a course of study at the University.


Semester Enrollment Certification Request

Yellow Ribbon Program

The VA’s Yellow Ribbon Program (YRP) is program designed to assist students utilizing the Post 9/11 GI Bill® education benefit with 100% entitlement.  FSU recognizes we have a number of Military Connected Students utilizing the Post 9/11 GI Bill® who reside in Connecticut, New Hampshire, and Rhode Island. By Framingham State University participating in the YRP, we are providing aide to those students who would otherwise incur charges for out-of-state tuition during the fall and spring semesters.

To qualify, at least one of these must be true. You:

  • Served at least 36 months on active duty (either all at once or with breaks in service), or
  • Received a Purple Heart on or after September 11, 2001, and were honorably discharged after any amount of service, or
  • Received a Fry Scholarship on or after August 1, 2018, or
  • Served for at least 30 continuous days (all at once, without a break) on or after September 11, 2001, and were discharged after 60 days with a service-connected disability, or
  • Are a dependent child using benefits transferred by a Veteran or a service member who has served for at least 36 months on active duty and qualifies at the 100% level, or
  • Are receiving the Fry Scholarship (beginning August 1, 2018)

    Note: At this time, you’re not eligible for the maximum benefit rate under the Post 9/11 GI Bill® if you’re an active-duty service member or the spouse of an active-duty service member. But, as of August 1, 2022, you may become eligible if you’re an active-duty service member who qualifies at the 100% level, or the spouse using the transferred benefits of an active-duty service member who qualifies at the 100% level.

Applications are accepted during the Enrollment Certification period every semester.

Applications are approved on a first come first service basis.

If you wish to apply for the Yellow Ribbon Program, please contact the Office of Veteran & Military Services:

Email: veterans [at] (veterans[at]framingham[dot]edu)

*GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website.

VA Education Benefit Programs

Please follow the appropriate link below to apply for or change the school for the VA Education Benefit you are utilizing.

Most of the Military Connected Students studying at Framingham State are using the benefits of the Post 9/11 GI Bill® .  Service members who served on active duty on or after September 11, 2001 are eligible for these benefits and may have transferred them to their child or spouse dependent. You can receive up to 36 months of benefits, including:

  • Tuition and fees. If you qualify for the maximum benefit, the full cost of public, in-state tuition and fees will be covered.  If you receive less than max benefits that percentage will be covered.
  • Money for housing (if you’re in school more than half time). Your monthly housing allowance (MHA) on the cost of living where your school is located.
  • Money for books and supplies. You can receive up to $1,000 per school year.
  • Transferring this benefit to a dependent must be completed with the Department of Defense prior to applying for VA benefits.

Go to: Post 9/11 GI Bill® (Chapter 33)

If you paid into education benefits while on Active Duty prior to the Post 9/11 GI Bill®, you qualify for a stipend.  Chapter 30 does not pay for cost of attendance or a book stipend. If you exhaust all 36 months of the Montgomery GI Bill®, you may be eligible for 12 months of Post 9/11 GI Bill® benefits.


Go to: Montgomery GI Bill® -Active Duty (Chapter 30)

If you have a service-connected disability that limits your ability to work or prevents you from working, Veteran Readiness and Employment (formerly called Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment) can help. This program—also known as Chapter 31 or VR&E—helps you explore employment options and address training needs. In some cases, your family members may also qualify for certain benefits.

Go to: Veteran Readiness & Employment (Chapter 31)

The DEA benefit is available to dependents of a veteran who has died or is permanently disabled due to a service-connected disability. Qualified children must be between the ages of 18 and 26 to receive up to 45 months of educational benefits. The period of eligibility for a qualifying spouse ranges from 10 to 20 years.

Go to: Chapter 35 Survivors and Dependents Education Assistance (DEA)

MGIB-SR or 1606 is for actively drilling reservists with no active duty time (training only).  Chapter 1606 pays a stipend each month you are enrolled and actively attending course. If you are eligible for a “kicker,” and provide proper documentation, that “kicker” amount is applied to your stipend. When applying for Chapter 1606 Select Reserve GI Bill®, please include your Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE) or a DD214, if applicable.


Go to: Montgomery GI Bill®-Select Reserve- (MGIB-SR/1606)

Go to: Fry Scholarship

Named after the Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry, the Fry Scholarship education benefit is for the children of surviving spouse of an Active Duty Service Member wo died in the line of duty on or after September 1, 2001. Much like the Post 9/11GI Bill® benefits, an eligible individual may receive up to 36 months or benefits which include money for tuition, housing, books, and supplies.

As the child of a service member

  • You can be married or unmarried.
  • If you turned 18 or graduated from high school before January 1, 2013, you can get a Fry Scholarship until you’re 33 years old.
  • If you turn 18 or graduate from high school after January 1, 2013, you can get a Fry Scholarship at any age over 18 or after you graduate (whichever comes first).
  • If your parent died in the line of duty before August 1, 2011, you may qualify for both the Fry Scholarship and the Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance (DEA) program. But you can use only one program at a time.
  • If you’re receiving Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC), you’ll need to give up those payments when you start to use the Fry Scholarship. 

Read about DIC

As the spouse of a service member

  • If you remarry, you’ll no longer be eligible for the Fry Scholarship.
  • You can still get Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC) payments while using the Fry Scholarship.

Read about DIC

*GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website.



MA Veterans Categorical Tuition Waiver

Please submit waiver to:

The Office of Veterans & Military Services.  
Dwight Hall 111A 
Veterans [at] (Veterans[at]framingham[dot]edu) 
Office: 508.626.4632 | Fax: 508.215.5633

The Commonwealth of Massachusetts, through the Office of Student Financial Assistance (OSFA), offers a Categorical Tuition Waiver to all veterans or active members of the Armed Forces who are permanent and legal residents of Massachusetts. The Categorical Tuition Waiver is a component of the Single Tuition Waiver Program and has the same purpose of maintaining access to the Commonwealth's public colleges and universities. The Categorical Tuition Waiver is designed to provide financial support to individuals who might not have the opportunity to achieve higher education without such assistance.

  • Physically reside in Massachusetts for at least one year, as of the start of the enrolled term, with an intent to remain in Massachusetts consistent with Board of Higher Education policy; and
    • Have approved eligibility status as a “High School Completer,” per the Massachusetts tuition equity law, or
    • be a U.S. Citizen, permanent legal resident, or
    • non-citizen eligible under Title IV regulations.
  • Not be in default of any federal or state Student Loans for attendance at any institution or owe a refund for any previous financial aid received.
  • Enroll in at least three undergraduate credits per semester in State-Supported undergraduate degree or certificate program.
  • Be maintaining satisfactory academic progress in accordance with institutional and federal standards.
  • A member of an eligible category as defined below:
    • Veteran: As provided in M.G.L. Chapter 4, Section 7(43) including: Spanish War, World War I, World War II, Korean, Vietnam, Lebanese peace keeping force, Grenada rescue mission, the Panamanian intervention force, or the Persian Gulf.
      • *For purposes of tuition waivers, the term "veteran" shall also include any individual who served in the army, navy, marine corps, coast guard or air force of the United States for not less than ninety days at least one of which was served in the theatre of operation for the Somalian mission known as "Operation Restore Hope" and whose last discharge or release was under honorable conditions.
    • Armed Forces: An active member of the Armed Forces (Army, Navy, Marine, Air Force or Coast Guard) stationed and residing in Massachusetts.
  • In accordance with institutional requirements, each veteran student must present documentation of categorical waiver eligibility to the appropriate college officials.

YES!  Even though the Commonwealth law applies only to University's Day Division (as it is State-Supported), Framingham State University extends the Veterans Categorical Tuition Waiver to eligible Graduate and Continuing Education Undergraduate students. 

Complete the MA Categorical Tuition Waiver form and submit it to the Office of the University Registrar for processing. Proof of residency and Service Verification must be submitted with your initial waiver. For verification of service please submit a Service Verification Letter in lieu of your DD-214.  This can be found through your eBenefits account.

YES.  A new categorical tuition waiver form must be completed and submitted to the Office of University Registrar prior to each term you in which you enroll in at least one course.