Additional Program Information

Stopping and Starting

PBTL students often live complicated lives. If you must stay out for a semester, notify the Coordinator of Field Placements as early as possible if you have applied for a school placement, and notify the hosting public school if you have been placed. Notify also the PBTL program. To return after a semester away you must send a letter requesting reinstatement to the PBTL program. The request should be received at least one month prior to the appropriate course registration period.  Students who stop taking classes for even one semester will be governed by the regulations and requirements in effect at the time of their return. If you return after an extended time away, a more extensive review may be necessary.

The University reserves the right to require repetition of requirements after five years.

Suitability For Continuation

Students must have a minimum GPA of 2.8 in all education courses and a minimum GPA of 2.8 in all courses taken at Framingham State University in order to enroll in Field Study II, III, and student teaching. A PBTL student who receives a grade below B- is subject to review by the Professional Standards Committee.

Teaching is important and sensitive work involving extensive interaction with children and/or adolescents and their parents, with colleagues, and with supervisors. The University and its faculty are deeply committed to insuring the quality of PBTL graduates. In accordance with the requirements for approval and accreditation established by the Commonwealth, the Framingham State University Professional Standards Committee applies specific criteria for the retention of candidates in teacher preparation to determine whether they possess academic competencies and personal characteristics appropriate to the requirements of teaching. The Professional Standards Committee uses objective and subjective criteria for permitting students to progress through the teacher education programs.

Program Completion

Completion of this State recognized Post Baccalaureate Teacher Licensure program is noted on each academic record. When students apply to the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education an official transcript of the academic record must be submitted.