A limited number of graduate assistantships are available for interested and qualified students each academic year.
The Graduate Assistantship requires a 15 hour/week commitment during the fall and spring semesters when classes are in session. In return, students receive tuition and fee vouchers for up to two Continuing Education Graduate Classes (held during the evening, Saturdays, or online) per semester and a $2,500 stipend per semester (see Award info below for further clarification). Graduate assistants are assigned specific projects from faculty, administrators or staff from across the campus; awards may be given outside the applicant’s academic discipline. The assistantship is designed to last the entire academic year (fall and spring semester) pending a mid-year review by the sponsor. There will also be a year-end evaluation.
Academic/University Departments Offering Graduate Assistantships for AY2018-2019:
1. Business Department (please note: this assistantship is for all of summer 2018 and fall 2018)
2. McAuliffe Center for Integrated Science Learning
3. Chemistry and Food Science (note: preference will be given to a chemistry/food science student)
4. Center for Global Education
5. Facilities and Capital Planning
Students who wish to apply for an assistantship must submit a:
- Completed Graduate Assistantship application
- Current resume/curriculum vitae
- Letter of intent*
*Your letter of intent should include your professional qualifications, reasons for applying, and your expectations of that experience.
Please submit all materials (either hard copy or electronically) to Patty Ames by March 1, 2018 at her contact information below.
Graduate Assistantship Applicant Requirements
- Full admittance into a master’s degree program at Framingham State University (required)
- Bachelor’s degree in an appropriate field (required)
- Minimum 3.0 graduate GPA (required)
- Minimum 3.0 undergraduate GPA (preferred)
- Students may not have more than one graduate assistantship position at a time
- Enrolled in at least two graduate-level courses each semester (preferred)
Graduate assistants are awarded up to two tuition vouchers per semester (fall and spring) when classes are in session (excluding winter sessions) for Continuing Education Graduate Classes (held during the evening, Saturdays, or online). Course vouchers are not transferable and cannot be applied to most practicums, internships or directed/independent studies (see Patty Ames for clarification on this). Vouchers do not have cash value except towards tuition. Vouchers cannot be applied to any other fees incurred by the student (e.g., books, additional student fees). Vouchers should be submitted with your registration. Vouchers may not be applied retroactively or utilized at other colleges or universities. Expiration dates cannot be extended. Tuition remission is considered a financial resource in any financial aid award. A stipend of $2,500 is received each semester and there is a mid-year review from your assistantship sponsor.
Note: Students will be asked to fill out a CORI/SORI form if selected for an assistantship.
For questions regarding this program or the application process, please contact:
Ms. Patty Ames
Office of Graduate Studies
Framingham State University
100 State Street
PO Box 9101
Framingham, MA 01701-9101