Travel Information for Faculty and Librarians
In order to guarantee timely approval and reimbursement for expenses, faculty and librarians who travel on official Framingham State University business must complete the following steps (regardless of your funding source(s)). Examples of professional travel include:
- Attending an off-campus meeting
- Observing a student teacher
- Attending a conference
Step 1 (prior to travel): Complete the Travel Authorization for Faculty/Librarians
Your department administrative assistant will be able to help you, once you complete this form in full.
Note 1: If you are a part-time faculty member and you would like to request funding, complete the Part-Time Faculty Travel Request form.
Note 2: If your travel is being paid for by an organization other than Framingham State University, complete the Privately Subsidized Travel Form. **This form requires the President's signature.
Step 2 (prior to travel): Complete the Travel Outside the Commonwealth Form
Note: ONLY complete this step if your travel will take place outside of Massachusetts. Regulations require that this document be completed in at least one week prior to any out-of-state travel. This form must be completed for any out-of-state travel, even if no funds are being used. Completing this step will result in giving you a General Encumbrance number for your out-of-state travel.
Step 3 (while traveling): Collect all original receipts
Original receipts must include:
- Date & time
- Method of payment (e.g. cash, check*, or credit card)
- * Cancelled check front and back copy or bank printout with check numbers under it
- Proof of payment (i.e. a balance of zero)
Note: Credit card statements will not be accepted as a receipt.
Step 4 (after travel): Complete the Travel Expense Voucher
After your trip, complete this form (which you can find in myFramingham using the "Form Search" widget) within 30 days from the start date of your travel. However, if it is near the end of the fiscal year (the last date of which is June 30), then please be aware of date changes.
Along with your travel expense voucher, you should also include:
- A copy of your itinerary and/or conference agenda, where applicable
- All boarding passes
- Hotel receipts
- Internet printouts (if you booked your travel via the internet)
Regarding the form, please note:
- All foreign exchanges need to be converted. In addition to the receipts, the traveler will need to provide a hard-copy print-out of the conversions used. The following website can help make any necessary conversions:
- For mileage reimbursements:
- The current mileage rate can be found on the IRS website by searching for "standard mileage rate [YEAR]"
- Mileage should only be calculated from FSU to the location. Do not use any other starting location.
Note: If you traveled out-of-state, all travel forms, documents, and receipts relating to this travel must reference the General Encumbrance number (obtained after completing Step 2 (prior to travel): Complete the Travel Outside the Commonwealth Form).
Faculty who would like to request funding for student field trips may complete the following forms: