Family & Guest Orientation
2023 Orientation Information for Families and Guests
Family/Guest orientation is an extremely useful first step in learning ways to support your student, while simultaneously helping them to build their independence and at the same time learning all aspects of your student’s life while they attend Framingham State University.
The transition from high school to college can be a challenging one for both students and their family members. At Family/Guest Orientation, family members and supporters of new students are provided vital information that helps them understand how they can be partners with Framingham State in helping their students adjust to life as a Ram. Our hope is that after attending Family/Guest Orientation you will have much greater understanding of various resources that are available to your student, how to guide them without doing it for them and how you can continue to be involved in the Framingham State community through the Framily Network.
As a result of the Orientation experience, family members will have:
- An understanding of the differences between high-school and the college experience
- An understanding your student’s rights and responsibilities of being a Ram
- Helpful tips on how building successful strategies in gaining personal independence
- Ideas on how you can help your student feel that they belong at FSU
- An understanding of times during the semester that can be most difficult for students
- Knowledge in becoming prepared to respond to your student who may become stressed and anxious at various points
- An understanding of the resources available for family members and supporters and how the university communicates with family members and supporters.
Family/Guest Orientation is a one day program that occurs at the same time as First-Year Orientation. Students and their family members are involved in separate programs and will be reunited at the end of the day. Participants that take part in the Family/Guest Orientation will hear from a variety of community members that will discuss the following topics:
- Faculty to discuss the classroom experience
- Academic support services, including accommodations
- Academic Advising
- Health and Wellness
- Living in the Residence Halls and Commuting
- Safety and Security
- Finances (financial aid and paying the bill)
- Dining Services
- Engaging with campus activities
- How family members and supporters can stay connected and informed
We cannot wait to interact with you during Family/Guest Orientation sessions this summer!