University Academic Policies

Academic Course Work Off-Campus

Academic Fresh Start Policy

Academic Honesty

Advanced Placement

Attendance Policy

CAPS Program (College Academic Program Sharing)

CLEP for Undergraduate Students

Course Add/Drop and Course Withdrawal ('W')

Course Descriptions

Course Levels

Course Pass/Fail Policy

Course Prerequisites

General Education Requirements

Grade Appeal Policy

Graduation Participation

Graduation Rate Information

Independent/Directed Study Registration

Incomplete Grade Policy

Math Placement Re-Testing

Payment of University Charges

President's and Dean's List Eligibility

Registration Course Limit

Required Declaration of Major

Senior Citizen Status

Student Biographical Information

Veterans Information

Voter Registration

Academic Course Work Off-Campus:

To receive credit for courses taken at other institutions, matriculated students must obtain approval in advance from appropriate department chairs. Retroactive approval will not be given.

Off-campus course approval forms may be downloaded or are available in the Office of the University Registrar. Applications for approval of a course should be accompanied by the appropriate catalog description from that institution. After obtaining the appropriate signatures for approval of the course, the student must return the completed form to the Office of the University Registrar. The form will then be reviewed for course credit transferability.

Transcripts of these approved courses must be submitted to the Office of the University Registrar within six (6) weeks after the completion of the course. It is the student's responsibility to have official transcripts sent directly by the institution to the Office of the University Registrar.

All approved courses transferred into Framingham State University after matriculation will be awarded Framingham course credit in an amount equal to the cumulative total number of semester hour credits transferred divided by 4 and rounded to the nearest whole number. For example, if students take three 3-credit courses, they will be awarded two (2) Framingham State University course credits.

Transfer credit is given only for courses in which the student received a grade of C- or better. Courses must extend for at least a three-week period and meet a minimum of forty-five hours. Although credit is awarded for all approved transfer courses, the grades will not be recorded on the student’s Framingham State University transcripts nor be counted in computing the quality point average.

Students may inquire further when seeking approval of courses to be taken at other institutions, and they will be notified of the total number of course credits they have earned from such courses whenever additional approved courses are transferred.

Academic Fresh Start Policy:

Any student who has separated from Framingham State University due to voluntary withdrawal in good standing with an overall grade point average at or above 1.70 and less than 2.00, or due to academic suspension/dismissal and had an overall grade point average below 2.00 at the time of separation is eligible to apply for readmission under the Fresh Start policy under certain conditions:

  • The period of separation from the University must be at least two (2) consecutive semesters.
  • The student supplies evidence of personal growth during the period of separation, in the form of two letters of recommendation.

The University offers 36 majors currently, several of which may not have been available when you last attended. We invite to browse through the current undergraduate programs as you consider returning to Framingham State to complete your bachelor's degree.

Applicants to Fresh Start will be reviewed by the Academic Standing Committee (ASC). Applications will be due August 1st for Fall semester and December 1st for Spring semester.  When a student is accepted under the Fresh Start Policy, the previous Grade Point Average (GPA) will be cleared. Only courses taken after Fresh Start readmission will count toward the GPA. Previous courses in which a grade of C- (1.7) or better was earned will count as transfer credit toward graduation requirements but will not factor into the student’s GPA. Under the Fresh Start policy, students must complete at least eight (8) FSU courses, five (5) in the major, with an overall GPA of 2.00 in order to receive an undergraduate degree from FSU. The Fresh Start policy may be exercised only once. Once a student exercises the Fresh Start, it may not be rescinded. The student’s academic transcript will note the readmission status as Academic Fresh Start along with the semester the status commenced.

Academic Honest Policy:

Integrity is essential to academic life. Consequently, students who enroll at Framingham State University agree to maintain high standards of academic honesty and scholarly practice. They shall be responsible for familiarizing themselves with the published university policies and procedures regarding academic honesty. Faculty members are required to reference the university policy on academic honesty in their syllabi, and they shall, at their discretion, include in their course syllabi additional statements on definitions of academic honesty and academic honesty policies specific to their courses if applicable.

Infractions of the Policy on Academic Honesty include, but are not limited to:

  1. Plagiarism: claiming as one’s own work the published or unpublished literal or paraphrased work of another;
  2. Cheating on exams, tests, quizzes, assignments, and papers, including the distribution or acceptance of these materials and other sources of information without the permission of the instructor(s);
  3. Unauthorized collaboration with other individuals in the preparation of course assignments;
  4. Submitting without authorization the same assignment for credit in more than one course;
  5. Use of dishonest procedures in computer, laboratory, studio, or field work;
  6. Misuse of the University’s technical and educational facilities either maliciously or for personal gain;
  7. Falsification of forms used to document the academic record and to conduct the academic business of the University.
  8. The enlistment of another individual or entity to complete one’s course work.

Procedures for Handling Cases of Alleged Infractions of Academic Honesty

When a course instructor suspects a student of academic dishonesty, they notify the student in writing of the alleged infraction as soon as possible after the discovery of the infraction. The student will have five business days to respond to the allegation. If the student does not dispute the allegation, the course instructor reports the infraction to the academic dean of the college where the course is taught (home department of course) for record-keeping purposes, using the appropriate form. This notification must take place within ten business days of the discovery of the infraction and should include any corroborating evidence. The academic dean will notify the office of the Vice President of Academic Affairs of the violation.

If a student disputes an allegation of academic dishonesty, the student may appeal the case to be heard by a subcommittee of the Academic Policy Committee (APC) in executive session. This subcommittee will be made up of three faculty members, all of whom are not in the department of the course instructor making the allegation, and up to two students appointed by the APC Chair. The student and course instructor will be invited to the subcommittee hearing. The APC chair will notify the student of the subcommittee’s decision, which is final. If the student’s appeal is unsuccessful, the APC chair reports the infraction to the academic dean for record-keeping purposes on the appropriate form within five business days of the decision. The academic dean will notify the office of the Vice President of Academic Affairs of the violation within five business days. In all meetings with the course instructor, chair, or dean that are part of this appeals process, the student may bring a support person of their choice other than legal counsel.

All records of academic honesty policy violations will be maintained by the Office of Academic Affairs. Faculty are expected to report all incidents of academic honesty infractions. Upon being informed of an infraction (either by the course instructor or the APC subcommittee), the academic dean will inform the office of the Vice President of Academic Affairs within five business days.

Upon notification by an Academic Dean of a violation, the Office of the Vice President for Academic Affairs will notify the dean if the student has previous infractions.

After an infraction, the course instructor administers appropriate penalties that range from resubmission of the work in question to failing the course, as determined by the course instructor. 

After a student’s second infraction at the University, the academic dean will notify the student that they must meet with the academic dean.

After a student’s third infraction at the University, the student shall be notified of permanent dismissal from the University by the Office of Academic Affairs.  This penalty of dismissal can be appealed. Such an appeal will be made to the University Provost/Vice President for Academic Affairs within five (5) business days of notification of the penalty.

Attendance Policy:

Classroom instruction is a principal component of the educational process. Students and faculty have a mutual responsibility for contributing to the academic environment of the classroom. Consistent class attendance and participation in classroom activities are essential. It is expected that students will attend classes. Students should consult the course outline or syllabus to determine the relationships between attendance, including tardiness, and the goals, objectives, requirements, and grading of each course.

CAPS Program:

College Academic Program Sharing (CAPS) is a program for the sharing of academic facilities by the students attending Massachusetts State Universities (does not apply to the University of Massachusetts system or Community Colleges). Participating colleges include Bridgewater State University, Fitchburg State University, Framingham State University, Massachusetts College of Art, Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts, Salem State University, Westfield State University, and Worcester State University.

The primary purpose of the this program is to offer the opportunity to students registered at one state university to take up to thirty (30) semester hours of college credit at another state university without going through the formal registration procedures. Interested students must file a request form by June 1st for the fall semester and by December 30th for the spring semester. NOTE: Priority seating availability is given to matriculated students at the host institution.

CLEP for Undergraduate Students:

The College Level Examination Program (CLEP) is open to both incoming and enrolled students under the following conditions:

  1. Incoming first term freshmen may register for either the general battery exams (English Composition, Humanities, Mathematics, Natural Science and Social Sciences-History) or subject matter exams.
  2. Transfer and enrolled students may register for any general exam, provided they have not earned, or are not in the process of earning credit in a specific discipline covered by the general exam in question. Such students may also register for subject matter exams, provided they have not earned, or are not in the process of earning credit in a course which covers an equivalent area of study.
  3. Students attempting to "earn" credit via CLEP exams must achieve a score greater than 50 (effective Summer 2001).  Scores achieved less than 50 will not be acceptable for transfer credit.  (Prior to Summer 2001 - a score in the 50th percentile or higher must have been earned.)

Course Descriptions:

In the University catalog, under each course number and title, is a brief description of its content, followed by a statement on prerequisites, if any, explaining the requirements for admission to the course. Courses appropriate for general education are identified by (GenEd Goal), following the course title.

Course Levels:

The numbers to the right of the decimal point indicate the course level:

  • 000-099 Non-credit courses.
  • 100-199 Courses that are introductory in nature, assuming no prior college-level exposure to the discipline.
  • 200-299 Courses appropriate for students with prior exposure to the college regimen or to the discipline, some with prerequisites.
  • 300-399 Upper-level courses that build on previous exposure to the discipline, most with prerequisites.
  • 400-499 Senior-level courses, most with prerequisites, including independent studies, internships, seminars, directed studies, and practicum.
  • 600-699 Courses for public service undergraduate credit (not for degree programs - Exceptions may be made by the Major Department Chair).
  • 70000-79900 Courses for public service and professional development graduate credit (not for degree programs).
  • 800-899 Courses for graduate program credit but taught as duel level with the appropriate undergraduate course number assigned. For students enrolled in Master’s or Post Baccalaureate Teacher Certification programs only. Undergraduate students cannot enroll in graduate level courses.
  • 900-999 Courses assigned as graduate level courses. For students enrolled in Master’s or Post Baccalaureate Teacher Certification programs only. Undergraduate students cannot enroll in graduate level courses.

Course Pass/Fail Policy:

Students wishing to pursue a course as Pass/Fail must declare their intent by filing out a Request for Course Pass/Fail Form at the Office of the University Registrar during the Course Add/Drop period.  The request will be reviewed and the student notified within two business days if the request is denied.

P/F = (Pass/Fail) Matriculated undergraduate students attending day or continuing education division are permitted to take up to two (2) fall or spring courses on a pass-fail basis, subject to the following conditions:

  1. Only students who have successfully completed 16 course-credits or more are eligible to take a course on a pass/fail basis.
  2. Only one (1) course may be taken on a pass/fail basis in any semester.
  3. No course may be taken on a pass/fail basis if it is part of the twelve general education course requirements, or a major requirement including major-related, or if the course is within the major department.
  4. A student may not choose the pass/fail option when repeating a course.
  5. A student must declare whether a course is pass/fail by the last day of the Course Add/Drop period. The student taking a course on a pass/fail basis will notify the University Registrar by the end of that day. Once this has been done, the student may not change status. A student is eligible for Dean’s List if one of four courses has "P/F status."
  6. A pass grade grants the student course credit but does not count in computing the student’s QPA. A failed grade counts as a course attempted with zero points.
  7. At the completion of the course when the grade is turned in by the instructor, the University Registrar will convert the letter grade and record only "P" (pass) or "F" (fail) on the permanent record. The original letter grade is kept by the University Registrar and may be released only with the written permission of the student.
  8. Pass/Fail will be interpreted in accordance with the present grading system. "F" will be fail and all other grades will be pass.

Course Prerequisites:

It is the student’s responsibility to be aware of and have met prerequisites prior to attempting any course. Course prerequisites may be found in the University catalog as part of the course description.

General Education Requirements:

Students will meet the General Education Requirements as stated in the University catalog during the year they entered the University. Those students who matriculated prior to the Fall 1997 semester will follow the "Group" general education (Gen.Ed.) requirements while those students matriculating into the University for the Fall 1997 to Fall 2012 semester will be required to follow the "Goal" Gen.Ed. requirements. Students matriculating Fall 2013 and later will be required to follow the "Domain" General Education model.

The general education requirement is intended to provide breadth in the baccalaureate degree program to foster student learning beyond a single, narrow discipline or field. General education is designed to facilitate the increase of knowledge, an appreciation for learning in a broad context, the ability to relate new information to what one has previously learned, the capacity to judge information rather than to simply accept it, and the facility to use what one learns in a realistic and logical manner. In addition, the general education requirement is designed to help students to acquire the ability:

  • To communicate (write, speak, and listen) clearly and effectively,
  • to think critically, quantitatively, and creatively, and
  • to locate and to process information

For more information on the Domain General Education requirements, view the current Undergraduate Catalog.

Grade Appeal Policy:

Students have the right to discuss and review their academic performance with their instructors. Faculty have the right to establish grading standards. Faculty also have the responsibility to define general grading criteria in a course syllabus, communicate those criteria to students, and evaluate students based on those criteria.

Students may appeal final course grades (herein, grade) based on evidence of arbitrariness, prejudice, and/or error. Appeals must be based on concerns related to process and not on differences in judgment or opinion related to academic performance. The burden of proof rests on the student to demonstrate that the grade satisfies the criteria for appeal.


An arbitrary grade is considered to be one that is:

  • A substantial departure from reasonable academic practice, such as arbitrarily assigning grades or determining a priori that a specified percentage of the class will receive a specific grade. To fairly represent a student’s true achievement, it is understood that failing grades on assessments should receive their true percentile value rather than 0%.
  • A grade assigned to a student on the basis of criteria that are a substantial, unreasonable, and unannounced departure from the instructor’s previously articulated standards.
  • A grade resulting from an instructor adding items not listed on the syllabus, except for extra credit.


A prejudicial grade is one that is:

  • Motivated by ill will and/or not indicative of the student’s academic performance.
  • Assigned to a student by resorting to unreasonable standards different from those which were applied to other students in that section of the course.


The instructor made a mistake in calculating the grade.

Grade Appeal Process

Step One: Informal Appeal to the Instructor

If a student feels that they received a grade that is eligible for appeal, they should first contact the course instructor within two weeks of receipt of the grade. The student and instructor will have an informal discussion regarding the grade. If the issue is not resolved, the student moves on to Step Two.

If the course instructor is no longer teaching at the University or is otherwise unavailable, the student’s initial grade complaint should go to the department chair.

Step Two: Formal Appeal to the Instructor

Within two weeks of the informal appeal decision, the student submits a formal appeal to the course instructor along with supporting documentation outlining why the grade is being appealed.  The student must provide evidence that the grade satisfies the criteria for appeal. The course instructor will inform the student of the results of a further consideration of the grade in writing within two weeks of receipt of the formal complaint.

Step Three: Appeal to the Department Chair

If, after hearing back from the instructor, the student still believes that the grade is eligible for appeal, the student should meet with the chair of the department in which the course was offered within two weeks after receipt of the appeal decision from the course instructor. The student will share the written appeal and documentation with the chair. The chair may meet also with the course instructor. The chair may not change the grade, but the course instructor may choose to do so after their discussion with the chair. The course instructor will notify the student and chair in writing within two weeks of their decision, after meeting with the chair.

Step Four: Appeal to the Academic Dean

If, after being informed of the course instructor's decision, the student still believes that the grade is eligible for appeal, the student may take up the matter with the academic dean of the college in which the course was offered (home department) within two weeks of receipt of the course instructor’s decision. The student will share the written appeal and documentation with the academic dean. After reviewing the student’s appeal and the course instructor’s response(s), the academic dean will discuss the matter with the student, the course instructor and/or the department chair. The academic dean may also invite the course instructor to submit a statement. The academic dean may also decide to hold a meeting at which both the student and course instructor may respond to the other's written statements and to any questions that the academic dean wishes to pose to them. If the academic dean determines that there is no merit to the appeal, the dean shall inform the student that the grade will stand. This ends the appeal process.

Step Five: Appeal to the Academic Policies Committee (APC)

If the academic dean determines that there may be merit to the appeal, they will refer the case to the Academic Policies Committee (APC). The Chair of APC will appoint a subcommittee consisting of three faculty members. No more than one member of this subcommittee shall be from the same department as the course instructor of the course in question. This hearing body will review the substance of the case and make recommendations regarding whether a grade change would be appropriate. The hearing body will have the authority, after a thorough review of all relevant assignments and related materials, to uphold the grade assigned by the instructor, to assign an appropriate grade, or to allow the student to accept a pass in the course rather than a letter grade. The decision of the subcommittee is final.

Note: In all meetings with the course instructor, department chair, or academic dean that are part of this appeals process, the student may bring a support person of their choice except for legal counsel.

Note: If the department chair, academic dean, and/or the APC subcommittee determine that the grade appeal is based on a complaint involving sexual harassment or bias or harassment or bias based on protected categories, the deadline to file the formal appeal and other subsequent deadlines will not apply. These cases will be referred to the Title IX officer by the chair, dean, or the APC subcommittee before proceeding further. Once this officer has acted on the validity of the complaint, the matter will be referred back to the appropriate parties for adjudication.

Graduation Participation:

Beginning with the Winter 2011 and Spring 2011 Commencement Ceremonies, all students must complete all degree requirements in order to participate in Commencement.

Effective for the May 2011 Graduation Date:  Completion of a Baccalaureate Degree for May 2011 at Framingham State University requires that all students achieve a minimum 2.00 quality point average in their major requirements, including major-related courses taken outside of the home department in fulfillment of major requirements as well as University residency requirements.

For the Spring Ceremony in May: Undergraduate students must attend a mandatory rehearsal (generally held on the Thursday before Commencement). Participation in the Commencement ceremony does not constitute conferral of the degree. Similarly, inclusion of a student’s name on such publications as the Commencement program does not confirm eligibility for the degree. To be eligible for graduation honors, a student must have completed all degree requirements, which includes having taken a minimum of sixteen (16) course-credits at Framingham State University.

Graduation Rate Information: As part of the Student Right to Know Act, the University is required to publish the graduation rate for students. The rate is based on a cohort of first-time full-time students in a given fall semester (part-time students, transfer, or re-admits are not included as part of the cohort) and is determined on how many of the students in the cohort completed the baccalaureate after six (6) years.

  • For the Fall 1998 Cohort, the graduation rate is 44%.
  • For the Fall 1999 Cohort, the graduation rate is 42%.
  • For the Fall 2000 Cohort, the graduation rate is 50%.
  • For the Fall 2001 Cohort, the graduation rate is 43%.
  • For the Fall 2002 Cohort, the graduation rate is 49%.
  • For the Fall 2003 Cohort, the graduation rate is 52%.
  • For the Fall 2004 Cohort, the graduation rate is 51%.
  • For the Fall 2005 Cohort, the graduation rate is 52%.
  • For the Fall 2006 Cohort, the graduation rate is 52%.
  • For the Fall 2007 Cohort, the graduation rate is 50%.
  • For the Fall 2008 Cohort, the graduation rate is 51%.
  • For the Fall 2009 Cohort, the graduation rate is 56%.
  • For the Fall 2010 Cohort, the graduation rate is 55%.
  • For the Fall 2011 Cohort, the graduation rate is 54%.

Independent/Directed Study Registration:

Independent Studies allow students the opportunity to study an area in greater depth than the content of existing course offerings.  A Directed or Independent Study may also be offered when a course existing in the University Catalog is not offered during the semesters the student is enrolled at the University.  To enroll in a Directed of Independent Study, a student:

  1. Must be a matriculated undergraduate student in a declared major (undeclared students are not eligible).
  2. Must have a minimum of 16 course-credits completed.
  3. Must have an overall GPA of 2.75 and a GPA of 3.00 in the major.
  4. May enroll in only on Directed or Independent Study in a given semester.
  5. May enroll in no more than three Directed or Independent Studies within undergraduate degree requirements.
  6. May be subject to stricter guidelines in the major department.  Check appropriate course description for the major in question for additional criteria.
  7. May be granted exceptions by department chairs in special circumstances.

Math Placement Re-Testing:

Re-Tests for Math Placement will be given during the semester. Please contact CASA in Peirce Hall for exact dates and times.

Payment of University Charges:

All charges must be paid, or arrangements for payment made with the Student Accounts Office by the indicated due date on the billing statement. Failure to comply will result in removal from classes, as well as from room placement in the residence halls. Vacated places in classes and rooms will then be made available to students on waiting lists. To be enrolled, it will be necessary for the student to re-register for classes through the Course Add/Drop period at the beginning of the semester and to reapply for resident hall living. 

President's & Dean's List Eligibility (Fall and Spring semesters only):

Effective beginning Fall 2013:

President’s List

A matriculated undergraduate student carrying a minimum of three (3) course-credits in a fall or spring term earns a place on the honor roll (published after the end of every fall and spring semester) after earning a GPA of 3.30 or higher for each of three (3) consecutive semesters. The student must maintain this average to remain on the list.

Dean’s List

A matriculated undergraduate student carrying a minimum of three (3) course-credits in a fall or spring term earns a place on this honor roll (published after the end of every fall and spring semester) for each semester in which the student earns a GPA of 3.30 or higher. A student is eligible for Dean’s List if one of the four courses has “P/F” status.

Additional Eligibility Limitations

A student obtaining either an “IC” grade or an extension for an “N” grade is not initially eligible for the Dean’s/President’s List but may petition in writing to the Office of the University Registrar to have their eligibility for the Dean’s/President’s List reviewed once the final grade has been submitted. Petitions must occur by the end of the semester that the grade was submitted.

Registration Course Limit:

Students may register for a maximum of four (4) course-credits during the advanced registration period - this includes MATH 095 General Mathematics (a non-credit course). Additional courses may be added, if available, during the Course Add/Drop Period at the start of the semester. Students may take up to five (5) course-credits only with the written consent of the advisor and the major department chair. This process is intended to assure all students a fair opportunity to secure regular course loads. The minimum academic load for full time attendance per semester is three (3) course-credits.

  • Effective Fall 1996: Withdrawal from a course after the Course Add/Drop Period.
    The new conditions for withdrawing from a course after the Course Add/Drop period apply to courses taken during the Fall 1996 semester and after. Students who withdraw between the third and ninth week (extended beyond the previous eighth week) of a regular semester (or for a quarter course, no later than the fourth full week of the quarter) will incur no academic penalty as far as the grade point average is concerned but will have a notation of "W" on the permanent records (instead of the previous "WP" or "WF"). See the 1997-98 College catalog, page 12, for additional information.
  • Enrolling in a Continuing Education Division Course as part of the Full-Time Academic Load. In the event that students desire to take a course in the Continuing Education Division because one of an equivalent type is not available in the Day Division, they may take the Continuing Education course and count it as part of their full-time academic load. If this is done, the student must pay the full cost of the Continuing Education course in addition to the Day Division program charges.
  • Academic Work through FSU Continuing Education. Effective Summer 1991: Courses toward degree completion taken by Day Division students through FSU Continuing Education, will be posted to the student's Day Division permanent academic record. Course Approval Forms are no longer needed for FSU courses, exemptions are as follows:
    1. Courses deemed academically inappropriate for Day Division programs (by the Department offering the courses) will not be posted to the student's Day Division permanent record.
    2. Students suspended from the Day Division, and are recommended to take Continuing Education Division courses as a non-matriculated student may continue to do so. Such courses will not be posted to the student's Day Division permanent record until the individual has applied and been accepted for readmission to the University.

Required Declaration of Major:

Students are not permitted to register for their junior year without having declared a major. Students may not revert to Undeclared status once junior standing has been attained. An exception is permitted for transfer students admitted to junior standing as Undeclared. Such students may delay declaration of a major for one semester.

Senior Citizen Status:

Individuals who are age 60 or older and interested in enrolling in a course or courses at Framingham State University through the Day Division may do so by requesting "Senior Citizen" status. A Senior Citizen may take a course for Audit or for Grade (credit).

You have the opportunity to enroll in courses on a space available basis by completing the Certificate of Tuition Waiver/Senior Citizen Course Enrollment Request form before the start of each semester or during the Course Add/Drop period occurring the first six (6) class days of each semester. Individuals will also need to submit a Proof of Tuition Residency Form when first submitting the Certificate of Tuition Waiver. These completed forms are due in the Office of the  University Registrar prior to the start of the semester.

The Senior Citizen Enrollment Request is a Day Division procedure. Another registration option is to take courses through the Division of Graduate & Continuing Education (McCarthy Center Room 515).

Senior Citizen Course Enrollment Request Form 
This form requires biographical information and the number of courses you are interested in taking. The form must be completed by you and signed by the Registrar (or designee). During the following business day, a Framingham State University ID# will be created for you and listed on the form if you do not have an ID # already. You may request a photocopy of the finalized request form from the Office of the Registrar for the purpose of obtaining a College ID and a Commuter Parking Sticker.

Certificate of Tuition Waiver Form:
This form is to be completed each semester for the purpose of maintaining "Senior Citizen" status (more specifically to receive approval to audit courses in accordance with the Board of Higher Education Tuition Guidelines - A required Audit fee of $130.00 per course). Proof of age is required. A photocopy of a valid driver’s license or a birth certificate is acceptable.

Proof of Residency Form:

This form is for the purpose of determining eligibility for in-state tuition rates.  The Tuition Residency Form must be completed and submitted to the Office of the Registrar before paying for the course(s).  This form no longer requires notarization.

Course Audit form:
If you have not submitted your request for courses prior to the first day of classes, you must complete a Course Audit form during the Course Add/Drop period. The Course Audit form must be filled out by you and signed by the instructor(s) of the course(s) you wish to take. When you are filling out the form, please list your social security number in the box identified as "student ID". In the other boxes provided, clearly print your name (Last, First, Middle Initial), print "NON" as the major, and "Fall" & the year or "Spring" & the year for the semester. On the right half of the form marked "PERMISSION TO AUDIT A COURSE," you will need to print the course number, the course section, and the course title for the course you are intending to add. Note: All courses have a section letter. If you do not include the section letter, the form will not be processed by the Office of the Registrar. On the blank line above the words "PROFESSOR’S SIGNATURE" is the area that the course instructor will need to sign if she or he is allowing you into the course.

Look through the Day Division’s current semester's Master Schedule of Courses along with the Course Change Sheet (pink) for the courses being offered. Although you may think that a course is CLOSED, it is up to the discretion of the instructor as to whether there are seats available in the course. Be advised students are adding and/or dropping courses, which may result in seats becoming available. Again, it is completely up to the instructor of the course whether or not you can Add into a course.

Inside the cover of the Day Division’s Master Schedule of Courses is a list of faculty office locations. A map of the College campus is provided in the back of the booklet. Please note that some of the courses listed in the booklet have several meeting times for an individual section. This means that the course section really meets at all of the times listed but the location may differ.

Completed Course Audit Forms must be submitted to the Office of the Registrar (Dwight Hall 220) before you may be considered as enrolled in the course(s).

Paying Fees for the Course(s) if taking the course(s) for credit (NOT for Audit)
If you are requesting to enroll into a course or courses for "Grade" (credit) or for "Audit" (no credit), you will be required to pay the various fees the College charges per course. First, make sure you have the Senior Citizen Course Enrollment Request form signed by the Registrar (or designee) and the Proof of Residency form completed and submitted to the Office of the Registrar.

Next, you will need to go to the Student Accounts Office located in Dwight Hall, Room 104, to pay the fees for the course(s). They will stamp the blue application form "Paid in Full." (Senior citizens may take a course for Audit at $130.00 per course but must provide photo identification with date of birth to be photocopied.) The Student Accounts Office will retain the Senior Citizen Course Enrollment Request form. You may request a photocopy of the application form, with a College ID# assigned to you, the following business day from the Office of the Registrar.

The Timeline
The above process must take place during the Course Add/Drop period, the first six (6) class days of the semester. For you to be considered enrolled as a "Senior Citizen," all of the paperwork must be received in the Office of the Registrar along with payment submitted to the Student Accounts Office, no later than the last day of the Course Add/Drop period (See Academic Calendar for exact date). THERE ARE NO EXCEPTIONS.

Please note that if you are enrolling in three (3) courses (full-time status) you will be required to provide
Medical/Immunization History to the Office of Health Services and also provide Health Insurance Information.

See University Police (located in the McCarthy Center) for information regarding availability of parking stickers.  Remember to ask for a map that illustrates student-designated parking lots. If you park in an unauthorized space, you will likely be ticketed and/or towed.

Photo ID's may be obtained at the ID Office (McCarthy Center). After you have completed the Senior Citizen Course Enrollment process and have been assigned a Framingham State University student ID#, you will need to request a copy of the Senior Citizen Course Enrollment Request Form to bring with you to the ID Office.

Student Biographical Information:

The University maintains some biographical data on all of it’s students. If there are changes in your biographical data (name, marital status, address (either permanent or local), next of kin, parent's address, etc.), please notify the Office of the University Registrar by completing the Biographical Data Change Form as soon as possible, so University records may be kept up to date.

Veterans Information:

In accordance with Title 38 US Code 3679 subsection (e), Framingham State University has adopted the following additional provisions for any students using U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Post 9/11 G.I. Bill® (Ch. 33) or Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (Ch. 31) benefits, while payment to the institution is pending from the VA. Framingham State University will not:

  • Prevent nor delay the student’s enrollment;
  • Assess a late penalty fee to the student;
  • Require the student to secure alternative or additional funding;
  • Deny the student access to any resources available to other students who have satisfied their tuition and fee bills to the institution, including but not limited to access to classes, libraries, or other institutional facilities.

However, to qualify for this provision, such students may be required to:

  • Produce the Certificate of Eligibility by the first day of class;
  • Provide written request to be certified;
  • Provide additional information needed to properly certify the enrollment as described in other institutional policies.

Categorical Tuition Waiver for Veterans and Active Duty Members
To be eligible for a Categorical Tuition Waiver, a student must:

  • Be a permanent legal resident of Massachusetts for at least one year prior to the opening of the academic year;
  • Be a United States citizen or eligible non-citizen;
  • Be in compliance with applicable Selective Service Registration laws;
  • Not be in default of any federal or state student loan or owe a refund on any previously received financial aid;
  • Present documentation of categorical tuition waiver eligibility to the appropriate to the Office of the University Registrar;
  • Enroll in at least three undergraduate course-credits per semester in a state-supported undergraduate degree or certificate program; and
  • Maintain satisfactory academic progress in accordance with federal and institutional standards.

Be a member of an eligible category as defined below:
Veteran: As provided in M.G.L. Chapter 4, Section 7(43), shall mean:

(1) any person whose last discharge or release was under honorable conditions, and who served for not less than 180 days active service;


(2) Any person whose last discharge or release was under honorable conditions and who served in the army, navy, marine corps, coast guard, or air force of the United States, or on full time national guard duty under Titles 10 or 32 of the United States Code or under sections 38, 40 and 41 of chapter 33 for not less than 90 days active service, at least 1 day of which was for wartime service, including: Spanish War, World War I, World War II, Korean, Vietnam, Lebanese peace keeping force, Grenada rescue mission, the Panamanian intervention force, or the Persian Gulf. For purposes of the categorical tuition waivers, “veteran” shall also include any individual who served for not less than ninety days at least one of which was served in theatre for "Operation Restore Hope" and whose last discharge or release was under honorable conditions.
Armed Forces: An active member of the Army, Navy, Marine, Air Force or Coast Guard stationed and residing in Massachusetts.

Unlike the G.I. Bill®, the Categorical Tuition Waiver does not expire. Assistance can continue as long as the student meets the eligibility criteria. Specific definitions of "veteran" in each category can be obtained from the Office of the University Registrar. Those who are eligible must complete and submit a Certificate of Tuition Waiver Form, along with a copy of their separation from service (DD214) and proof of Massachusetts residency, prior to the billing deadline. Certificates must be submitted prior to billing each semester. Veterans whose certificates are not on file prior to receiving bills must pay tuition. A refund will be processed upon receipt and approval of the certificate.

Massachusetts National Guard Tuition Waiver and Federal Tuition Assistance Program
The Massachusetts National Guard Education Assistance Program provides a 100% tuition and fee waiver for active members of the Massachusetts Army National Guard attending a state university or community college program. Assistance can continue as long as you are good academic standing and until you have reached 130 semester hours.
To apply, you must request a Certificate of Eligibility (TAGMA Form 621-3) every 30 credits from the Massachusetts National Guard Education Office by calling that office at 508-968-5889.

VALOR Act and Academic Credit Evaluation Policy
As per the Valor Act of 2012 (Massachusetts), undergraduate admissions applicants may submit their military transcript via the American Council on Education (ACE) for consideration of academic credit in accordance with University's policy with transfer credit. Framingham State will also review for consideration of academic credit the DANTES DSST exams. This information needs to be provided during the application process to the University. Questions regarding the possible transferability of military credits should be directed to the Office of the University Registrar by email ( or by phone (508-626-4545).

Veterans Access, Choice, and Accountability Act of 2014
The Veterans Access, Choice, and Accountability Act of 2014 (Public Law 113-146) changed the amount of tuition and fee charges which can be reported to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). Effective July 1, 2015, public institutions of higher education must charge qualifying veterans and dependents tuition and fees at the rate for in-state residents. Any institution not meeting this requirement will be disapproved by VA for the Post-9/11 GI Bill® and Montgomery GI Bill®.
Individuals qualifying for in-state tuition under Public Law 113-146 are:

  • A Veteran receiving benefits under the Montgomery GI Bill® (Chapter 30) or the Post-9/11 GI Bill® (Chapter 33) who lives in the state in which the institution is located (regardless of his/her legal state of residence) and enrolls in the institution within three years of discharge from a period of active duty service of 90 days or more.
  • A spouse or child using transferred benefits under the Post-9/11 GI Bill® (Chapter 33) who lives in the state in which the institution is located (regardless of his/her legal state of residence) and enrolls in the institution within 3 years of the transferor’s discharge from a period of active duty service of 90 days or more.
  • A spouse or child using benefits under the Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship who lives in the state in which the institution is located (regardless of his/her legal state of residence) and enrolls in the institution within three years of the Servicemember’s death in the line of duty following a period of active duty service of 90 days or more.
    If the veteran or dependent enrolls within three years after the veteran’s discharge, the requirement to charge no more than the in-state tuition rate would apply for the duration the individual remains continuously enrolled at the institution.

‘‘GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the United States Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official United States Government Web site at"

Voter Registration:

Voter registration forms will be available at the Office of the University Registrar. For students from other states who desire to vote in a state other than Massachusetts, the Federal mail-in affidavit for voter registration or mail-in form supplied by that state may be used. Forms for this purpose are now available in the Office of the University Registrar or the student may contact the appropriate state election official to receive the state form or call or write the Massachusetts Elections Division, Room 1705, McCormack Building, One Ashburton Place, Boston, MA 02108, (617) 7272828 or 1-800462-8683.