Costs And Financial Aid

How much will it cost?

FSU offers a wide range of programs that are comparable in cost to living on campus for a semester.  Other programs may be slightly to significantly higher in cost.

Direct enrollment in foreign universities can be cheaper than attending through an American third-party provider; but the third-party providers may offer financial assistance (awards typically range from $500 to $1500) through merit- or need-based scholarships.

See our Spotlight Programs for some of our most affordable programs.

When thinking of where to study, remember that the major cities around the world are usually significantly more expensive places to spend a semester.

Things to keep in mind:

Make sure you know the current fees and current exchange rate in determining a true cost.

Read your program materials closely to find out whether costs such as airfare, meals, and vacation housing are included.

  • How many of your daily meals are covered in your meal plan?
  • Will you have additional food and housing expenses during breaks?
  • Are organized excursions included in your fee, or are they an additional cost?
  • Does the program estimate personal costs that are not covered by the fees?

Travel during breaks, eating out, and other entertainment are often mentioned as adding a lot to the overall cost, but planning a budget can mean that your costs are reasonable.

Visa regulations make it unlikely that you will be able to earn money while you are away. (The UK, however, has now liberalized its rules.)  Your academic workload and desire to see something of the country beyond your program probably make it inadvisable to take on more than a very few hours employment each week.

How to pay:

You are responsible for paying program bills directly to the program. Make sure that you understand your program's billing procedure.

Many programs and universities will require that you send a deposit of several hundred dollars or more to secure your place.  Some programs will ask for $2000, which is used to secure housing for you and the deposits are credited toward your bill.  Due dates for both deposits and fees may differ significantly from those to which you are accustomed at FSU.

Some institutions require full payment before you can register for classes, and confirmation of payment is often necessary for a visa application.

If you are enrolling directly in a foreign university, you will need to make arrangements to pay the bill in the currency of that country.

Note that many foreign universities bill for tuition and accommodation on separate invoices.

How to afford study abroad:

Financial aid resources are available to students who study abroad, including school loans and grants, private organization funds, scholarships, and more.

Early and advanced planning is the best way to begin your search for financial assistance. **As soon as you can, meet with your study abroad advisor to begin your planning.** Some financial aid FAQ’s concerning studying abroad are below. Please contact the Office of International Education with any additional questions.

Frequently Asked Questions:

Is it possible to receive financial aid for study abroad?

Yes! If you have never received financial aid in the past, you should still consider applying since studying abroad is usually more costly. You may be eligible for federal loans, grants, and additional forms of assistance.

How do I apply for financial aid?

In order to apply for financial assistance, all applicants must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). This application can be obtained in the Office of Financial Aid at Framingham State University, or online at

When should I apply for financial aid?

It is a good idea to apply as early as you can. By applying early, the financial aid office will be able to process and review your application and complete all paperwork in a timely manner.

Are there any special procedures to follow in order to receive financial assistance for study abroad?

Yes. You need to meet with a financial aid office advisor, who will guide you through the process of applying for financial assistance.

What happens to my Federal Work-Study award if I study abroad?

If you receive Federal Work-Study as part of your financial aid package, this may be replaced by another form of assistance, a loan or a grant during your time abroad.

Will my scholarships that are not affiliated with Framingham State transfer over?

Students find that most of the time these scholarships (private scholarships, private loans, etc) will transfer. To be sure, you should check with the organization that provides you with the scholarship.

How much of my study abroad cost will financial aid cover?
This depends on a few things: the cost of your program, your individual financial need, and the length of time (semester or year) you plan to study abroad.

In determining how much assistance you are eligible to receive, both direct costs (tuition, rent) and indirect costs (airfare, books, personal spending, etc.) will all be taken into consideration.

Where can I find financial assistance outside Framingham State University?

In addition to receiving financial aid through Framingham, past study abroad students have also received assistance from resources outside of FSU. This may include private scholarship funds, funding from your local church or community center, and Rotary and American Legion Clubs.