Transfer Students

We are pleased that you have decided to transfer to the Food and Nutrition Department at Framingham State University. The first step is to decide which of our two majors you want to complete. If you are unsure of which major is for you, follow the requirements for the Dietetics major.

Major: Health and Wellness

Major: Food and Nutrition. All incoming students are placed in the FNG concentration.

This description of the Dietetics major explains how you can become a Registered Dietitian. Click here. The description of the Health and Wellness major describes how you can become a health professional with a strong background in nutrition. Click here. Carefully review the required courses for these two majors; they are different, especially the required chemistry and biology courses.

Here are answers to the most frequently asked questions from transfer students:

1. How can I tell which courses will be accepted by FSU before I enroll?

To begin, you need to look at two documents. The first is a copy of the courses you have taken at your previous school and the second is a list of the courses requirements for the major you wish to transfer into. Click here if you want to transfer into the Dietetics major and click here if you want to transfer into the Health and Wellness major.

Then click here for R.A.M.S. (R.A.M.S. is an abbreviation for Records Articulation Management System). Use the search feature or click the first letter of your previous school’s name. For example, if you are transferring from Middlesex Community College, type in Middlesex. Schools are also listed under the first letter of the school’s name. If your school is not listed, skip to question 4.

Click here for an example of how to read R.A.M.S.

2. What if I took Chemistry courses at one of the Massachusetts Public Higher Education institutions?

The FSU Chemistry Department has reviewed all Chemistry at Massachusetts Community Colleges, State Universities and University of Massachusetts.

Course Equivalencies for Massachusetts Community Colleges
Course Equivalencies for State Universities and University of Massachusetts

3. What if I took a nutrition course at one of the Massachusetts Public Higher Education institutions?

The FSU nutrition faculty has reviewed many college-level nutrition courses.

Nutrition course equivalences for Community Colleges.

4. What if my school is not listed in R.A.M.S.?

Your courses will need to be reviewed by the Chair of the department of the course. For example, if you took a chemistry course, the Chair of the Chemistry Department will determine if your course is equivalent to the requirement at FSU.

The Chair will review your courses on Transfer Advising Day. The online description may be sufficient but if you have the syllabus, bring it to transfer orientation just to be sure.

5. Do I have to take math before transferring? If so, what math course should I take?

If you want to enter the Dietetics major, we strongly recommend that you take College Algebra before transferring. The material in this course is extremely helpful in subsequent courses.

If you have not taken College Algebra, you will be required to take a placement exam to determine which course is best for you. The Orientation Office will notify you when placement exams are scheduled.

6. Do I have to attend Transfer Advising Day?

Yes. Transfer students register for classes on campus on Transfer Advising Day. You will be notified of the dates. You cannot register for courses if you do not attend one of these sessions. The earlier you attend, the better your chances of finding seats in the courses you need.

7. How many years will it take for me to graduate?

The answer to this question is ‘depends’. Most transfer students come to FSU with their General Education requirements completed or nearly completed. They do not have their major’s requirements completed. Health and Wellness majors may be able to complete the requirements in two years. Dietetics majors tend to take at least three years.

8. Which courses should I take at the community college?

If you are thinking about spending one or two years at a community college and then transferring to FSU, plan ahead. With careful consideration of which courses meet the requirements of your chosen major, you can decrease the time to graduate from FSU.

If you want to become a Registered Dietitian, look for courses that are equivalent to these requirements: NUTR 110 Fundamentals of Nutrition Science, CHEM 107 Principles of Chemistry, CHEM 108 Chemistry and Quantitative Analysis, MATH 123 College Algebra, BIOL 130 Principles of Biology, introductory psychology or sociology, and two sequential writing courses.

Some schools offer Anatomy and Physiology I and II which may transfer in as BIOL 241 and 242 at FSU. Check R.A.M.S. because some A and P classes do not meet these requirements. It is not worth taking only one semester of A and P.

If you want to be a Dietitian, we recommend you transfer to FSU after one year.

If you want to major in Health and Wellness, look for courses that are equivalent to these requirements:NUTR 110 Fundamentals of Nutrition Science, CHEM 103, CHEM 201, introductory psychology or sociology.

If you want the fitness concentration, you can take the equivalents for BIOL 130 Principles of Biology, and Anatomy and Physiology I and II at your community college. For the Nutrition and Food Studies concentration, look for a course equivalent to BIOL 142 Human Biology (Anatomy and Physiology I and II are usually equivalent of BIOL 142.)

You can take other courses that meet the General Education Requirements. We recommend Public Speaking and an American history course. You can also take an introductory language course; this is not necessary if you have had four years of language in high school or are a native speaker.

9. Who is going to help me choose the right courses when I come to Transfer Advising Day?

Food and Nutrition faculty will meet you at transfer advising and review your courses. You will be assigned an advisor for the remaining years at FSU and sign up for an advising appointment each semester to plan the next semester’s courses.

10. I need to work to earn money. Can I schedule my courses around my work schedule?

We understand the need to earn money. For students majoring in dietetics, it is our experience that students who work more than 15 hours a week do not do as well in their courses. Most classes meet for four hours per week; many courses have additional lab hours (chemistry, biology, and two nutrition courses). Most labs are scheduled for the afternoon.

Your grades in chemistry and biology courses will become part of your application to the Coordinated Program in Dietetics and the Dietetic concentrations.

11. Can I take any required courses online or in the summer at FSU?

Yes, but the schedule changes each year so check with your advisor to determine which courses are offered.NUTR 110 Fundamentals of Nutrition Science is offered every semester in an online format.