Financial Assistance Options for Students

At Framingham State University, we recognize that student success and well-being are impacted by challenges and stressors that often occur outside of the classroom. There are a variety of resources available to assist students who experience financial difficulty.

  1. Students who receive or are eligible to apply for financial aid and experience a change in their financial circumstances should contact the Office of Financial Aid, which is located in the Student Services Center on the 5th floor of the McCarthy Center. Examples of a change in financial circumstance include the loss of employment, reduction of income, or medical bills that are not covered by insurance.
  2. Students who are waiting for financial aid funding that has not yet been disbursed should apply for an Emergency Advance in the Student Services Center after the add/drop period for the current semester is complete. The Emergency Advance program provides this funding earlier in the semester.
  3. If students experience a sudden, temporary, and/or unexpected financial emergency that threatens their ability to remain enrolled at Framingham State University, and if the options above do not apply or have not met their need, the Financial Crisis Response Team application should be completed. Examples of financial emergencies include the inability to afford housing, transportation, food, textbooks, or other essential educational supplies.
  4. To support students who are facing temporary or chronic homelessness and/or difficulty affording food, please contact the Dean of Students Office at 508-626-4596,, or in person on the 5th floor of the McCarthy Center in suite 504. The Dean of Students Office can connect students with free financial counseling. 

Covid-19 Economic Impact Resources:

These resources will be periodically updated throughout the semester.  Please check back for additions and changes.  If you would like to speak to someone about your particular situation, please contact the Dean of Students Office at, (508) 626-4596.

Food Resources:

Rams Resource Center:  The Rams Resource center is open throughout the semester and can be accessed by students by appointment.  Please email the to schedule a time to visit our food and amenities pantry.

Foodsource Hotline: If you or your family members have lost their jobs due to businesses shutting down, you may become eligible for SNAP benefits (food stamps). These benefits may help your family get through these hard times.   

The Foodsource Hotline provides referrals to food pantries and soup kitchens as well as assistance in enrolling for SNAP  benefits.  The hotline can provide information in 160 different languages as well as to the hearing impaired.


     Telephone:         1-800-645-8333

     Hotline Hours:

           Monday – Friday                    8 A.M. - 7 P.M.

           Saturday                              10 A.M. - 2 P.M.

211 HelpSteps(State of Massachusetts/United Way): Provides information based on location for a number of services including but not limited to food, housing, mental health, medical care and insurance, transportation, and utilities.


Phone:                  211

Financial Resources:

Unemployment Insurance: 

The Massachusetts Executive Office of Labor and Workforce Development (EOLWD) and the Department of Unemployment Assistance (DUA) has expanded unemployment eligibility during this time and may be offering assistance to those who have had their hours reduced as well as those who have been laid off.  The situation is regularly changing.  For the most up-to date information, please check with the Department of Unemployment Insurance on what their current guidance is.  Regular unemployment is currently supplemented by federal unemployment benefits.


Phone:                (877) 626-6800 from area codes 351, 413, 508, 774, and 978

                          (617) 626-6800 from any other area code

                          711 for Voice Relay

Student Loans:
As of 4/6/2020 Federal student loan interest is being temporarily dropped to 0% and loans are being placed in forbearance (payments are suspended) until September 30th.  More information is available on the  Federal Student Loan website.  You may also contact Framingham State University's Financial Aid Office to discuss your specific circumstances.  This applies to federal student loans and does not apply to private loans.  If you are struggling with private loans, contact your loan provider to discuss forbearance options directly with them. 

Economic Impact Payment:

As of 4/6/2020, the federal government recently passed a stimulus bill which will direct $1200 payment to each adult with income below $75,000 a year.  Students who have a parent that claims them as a dependent will not be eligible for this payment, but parents claiming students as a dependent will receive an additional $500.  If you filed 2018 or 2019 taxes and had the money directly deposited to your bank account, this should be automatic.  If you did not file a 2018 or 2019 tax return or the IRS does not have your bank information, please check the IRS Coronavirus website: for updates on how you can still receive your Economic Impact Payment. 

Other Debt Obligations: 
If you have other debt obligations, they may be willing to offer some relief by allowing you to put your account into forbearance or forgiving late fees.  Please see guidance from the   Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.  One good place to start is to contact your creditor and inquire about options.  
Relief for Undocumented Individuals:
The MassUndocufund for Covid-19 relief in Massachusetts is currently raising funds to assist the victims of the Covid-19 Pandemic. More information can be found on their website.

Health Coverage:

The Framingham State University Health Center will continue to offer students services by telehealth.  More information can be found on their website.
Framingham State University students currently enrolled in Framingham State University’s Blue Cross Blue Shield Plan offered by the university remain covered for the plan year and can access information about COVID-19 testing, coverage and resources, including a 24/7 Nurse Care Line and live video visits with a medical or mental health provider by going their website.   
Students who received healthcare from their parents employment and have lost it due to job loss may be eligible for MassHealth.  More information can be found on the MassHealth Covid-19 website and application information can be found online.