Mission, Program Goals and Student Learning Outcomes
Health and Wellness Mission Statement
The Health and Wellness major at Framingham State University will develop a course of study to prepare students to pursue a career in a fitness, wellness, food, nutrition or related field according to the highest standards of client service and professional ethics.
Health and Wellness Learning Goals and Specific Learning Outcomes:
The program will:
• Prepare graduates to become wellness, health, fitness, nutrition education or foodservice professionals
• Prepare students for a variety of careers in wellness, fitness, food and nutrition education and foodservice.
• Prepare students to develop proficiency in targeted technologies
• Prepare graduates to become dedicated learners throughout life and career
Specific Learning Outcomes:
1. Students will be able to describe the principles of health and wellness from a multidimensional and interdisciplinary perspective.
2. Students will be able to think and act ethically in the context of health, nutrition and wellness.
3. Students will be able to apply management principles to evaluate human, physical, and fiscal resources in organizations.
4. Students will be able to demonstrate a variety of communication strategies in health and wellness education.
Additional Fitness concentration Learning Outcomes:
• Students will be able to demonstrate competence in assessing the health-related components of physical fitness.
• Students will be able to develop, implement, and evaluate physical activity programs for apparently healthy individuals and individuals with medical conditions who are cleared for independent physical activity.
• Students will able to explain the benefits of physical activity and nutrition for health, wellness, and quantity and quality of life.
Additional Nutrition and Food Studies Concentration Learning Outcomes:
• Students will be able to interpret and apply nutrition science concepts to improve the health of individuals and communities.
• Students will be able to identify and apply food principles to food and nutrition systems.