4+1 Food & Nutrition BS plus Food & Nutrition MS Program

College of Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) - Department of Food and Nutrition

Food and Nutrition Coordinated Program in Dietetics 4+1 Program

Application is a stepwise process:

Student Status

When Apply


Minimum second semester sophomore year

Semester completing CHEM 300 Principles of Biochemistry with Lab

Bachelor of Science (BS) with:

Major in Food and Nutrition, Concentration Nutrition and Dietetics

Minimum second semester junior year

Spring semester

Bachelor of Science (BS) with:

Major in Food and Nutrition, Concentration Nutrition and Dietetics Education

Master of Education (MEd) degree with:

Concentration in Nutrition Education

Application forms can be found on the department website www.framingham.edu/nutrition and on the graduate school website https://www.framingham.edu/admissions-and-aid/admissions/graduate-admissions/index. Please note only twenty-four (24) students are admitted to this program each year.

Undergraduate Major in Food and Nutrition
Nutrition and Dietetics Education Concentration Requirements (UFNE)(8 courses):

These courses are in addition to the major core requirements and pre-concentration requirements.

  • PSYC 101 General Psychology or
    • SOCI 101 Introduction to Sociology or
    • ANTH 161 Cultural Anthropology
  • STAT 117 Introduction to Statistics or
    • STAT 208 Biostatistics or
    • ENVS 202 Data Analysis for Scientists
  • BIOL 307 Microbiology
  • NUTR 005 Preparation for Academy Dietetic Internship (non-credit)
  • NUTR 374 Human Nutrition Science
  • NUTR 481 Medical Nutrition Therapy II
  • NUTR 485 Internship in Food and Nutrition

Concentration Graduate Courses (3 courses in the undergraduate senior year):

(The graduate courses will appear as transfer coursework on the undergraduate transcript)

  • NUED 914 Contemporary Nutrition Issues for Educators
  • NUED 970 Technology in Nutrition Education
  • EDIL 920 Learning and Human Development