College of Social and Behavioral Sciences – Department of Business
Bachelor of Science (B.S.) with major in Accounting
The General Education Requirement
All students must satisfy a general education requirement consisting of eleven (11) courses outside of the major department. The General Education Domain II-A (Analysis. Modeling, and Problem Solving) requirement is satisfied through the completion of the major in Accounting or Business & Information Technology. The General Education Domain III-C (Global Competency, Ethical Reasoning, and/or Human Diversity) requirement is satisfied through the completion of major in Finance, Management , or Marketing.
Courses may have specified conditions for enrollment, such as prior completion of less advanced courses, permission of the instructor, or appropriate placement test scores. Students should refer to course descriptions in the department listings for prerequisite requirements.
Students are encouraged but not required to select a minor in another discipline. A number of minors offered by other departments complement the majors offered by the Business Department and enhance the students’ preparation for their individual employment or graduate school goals. Students should discuss these possibilities with their academic advisors.
Requirements for the major in Accounting
Major Required Core courses (14):
- ACCT 220 Introduction to Financial Accounting
- ACCT 221 Introduction to Managerial Accounting
- BUIS 200 Introduction to Business Systems
- ECON 101 Principles of Macroeconomics
- ECON 102 Principles of Microeconomics
- FINA 248 Managerial Finance
- MATH 123 College Algebra*
- MGMT 215 Legal Environment of Business
- MGMT 280 Organizational Behavior
- MGMT 372 Operations Management
- MRKT 181 Marketing Principles
- QUAN 201 Quantitative Modeling for Business and Economics
- QUAN 202 Statistical Analysis for Business and Economics
*Students with a score on the mathematics placement exam which allows them to take MATH 200 Precalculus may substitute MATH 200 Precalculus, MATH 215 Finite Mathematics, or MATH 219 Calculus I for MATH123 College Algebra.