First-Year Student Orientation
Get Ram Ready.
Welcome, first-year students, to the Framingham State University fRAMily! We are so glad that you have chosen to attend FSU and we are excited to help you succeed and reach your goals.
Given the ongoing concern regarding the spread of COVID-19 and the guidance from the state on canceling events that are expected to draw large crowds from outside our community, we will be hosting a virtual and online orientation experience for May and June. We will continue to monitor the situation closely to make the best determination for orientation programs scheduled for August and September.
While we are saddened that we will be unable to welcome new students and their families through our typical orientation experience, we know that this decision will keep our incoming students and their families safe. We are committed to providing a virtual experience that supports the successful transition of our first-year and transfer students. Throughout the virtual and online orientation experience students will create their fall semester course schedules, develop connections with each other, receive an introduction to our campus resources, and learn about life as a member of our academic community.
Please follow us on social media, @newFSUram on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram and @framilytofamily on Facebook for additional updates and to stay engaged with our community.
Please click here if you are looking for information about Transfer Student Orientation.
Virtual Advising & Registration Days
On your Virtual Advising Day you will:
- Meet faculty advisors from your academic department
- Learn about courses, their major and other requirements necessary to graduate from Framingham State.
- Develop a course schedule for Fall 2020.
- Meet current student leaders and other new students.
On your Registration Day you will:
- Register for your Fall 2020 courses at home. Faculty and staff will be available for support on this day.
Monday, June 15
Tuesday, June 16
College of Business: Accounting, Business and Information Technology, Economics, Finance, Hospitality and Tourism Management, International Business, Management, Marketing
Wednesday, June 17
College of Education & Undeclared Majors: Child and Family Studies, Early Childhood Education, Elementary Education, Undeclared
Thursday, June 18
College of Science, Technology, Engineering & Math: Biochemistry, Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science, Earth System Science, Food and Nutrition, Food Science, Health and Wellness, Mathematics, Pre-Engineering
Friday, June 19
College of Social & Behavioral Sciences: Criminology, Environmental Science and Policy, Environmental Studies and Sustainability, Geography, Global Studies, Political Science, Psychology, Sociology
Monday, June 22
First-Year Orientation Make-Up Day 1
First-Year Orientation Make-Up Day 2
Preparing for your Advising Day
- There is no fee for student orientation.
- Individuals who require accommodations including a sign language interpreter, assistance with communications, or other needs to participate in a live, virtual event should let us know of those needs in advance on the RSVP form or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Our summer orientation program is organized by Academic College so that you can meet your faculty and other students in your major. It is important that when you RSVP, you select the date that corresponds to your major. If you would like to change your major, please email Admissions at email@example.com and RSVP for the orientation date for your new major. We offer two summer make-up orientation dates for all majors for those who are unable to attend the orientation for their major. Until we receive notice from the Office of Admissions that your major has changed, we will plan for you according to the major you indicated on your application.
- Download our mobile app, FSUgo, to access a virtual campus map and other useful information about FSU, including updates related to COVID-19.
Technology/Internet Assistance:Students should become familiar with three specific platforms prior to joining the Virtual Advising Day: my.framingham, Blackboard and email. You will search for courses and register in my.framingham. You will find links to your Academic Department meetings in Blackboard. If something happens, you will be able to communicate with us through email.
Technology issues on the day of Virtual Advising will take you away from sessions, making your day more complicated. Therefore, please set your password and navigate the three platforms prior to your Advising Day.
Instructions for accessing these sites can be found on the TechPrep letter that was included in the packet of information sent to you after you submitted your deposit. You can also find this form in the Ram Ready Portal under "Technology". If you need assistance, please contact the ITS Helpdesk prior to attending the session- 508-215-5906 or firstname.lastname@example.org. We understand that issues sometime arise unexpectedly. However, checking these platforms prior to the day will minimize the potential issues.
If technology or access issues don't permit you to attend on the Virtual Advising Day for your major, please know that you are welcome to attend on of our other First-Year Advising Days on June 22nd or in August.
Accessibility/Internet:We are committed to assisting all students through this process. If you foresee that you will not have access to the appropriate technology and/or to the internet, including only having access to a phone to attend Virtual Advising and Registration, please contact us at email@example.com prior to your Virtual Advising Day so that we can assist you.
Ram Ready Portal:We ask that each student complete this online orientation prior to attending your Virtual Advising Day. Not only will it provide useful information about resources and taking care of business, but you will also find information, including how-to videos and other content that will help you prepare for the day. The entire Portal should take you about 1 hour to complete, but it doesn't have to be done all at once. You will be able to stop and resume in that spot at a later time. Completing the RRP will help prepare you for the day. You'll find the Ram Ready Portal on myFramingham on the student homepage. You'll log in with your FSU username and password.
Due to restrictions resulting from the COVID-19 pandemic, the following policy for placement testing at Framingham State University will be implemented until further notice:
WRITING: Incoming students who do not meet the criteria for Expository Writing will be contacted by the Placement Testing Coordinator with information on how to register and complete the online Writing Assessment. Current FSU students who have not taken writing have been contacted by the head of the writing program and should check their e-mail and Starfish notifications.
WORLD LANGUAGES: Language testing will not be available until further notice. Language majors should send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org for further advisement. Once testing can resume, details including registration and dates will be posted.
MATH: Math testing will not be available until further notice. Incoming students will be placed in math courses based on their high school GPA. Once testing can resume, the Placement Testing Coordinator will be in contact with all incoming students regarding their math placement status, advise if testing is necessary, and share information on how to take the test. Priority test dates will be offered to STEM majors who should take the math placement test in order to be placed in the most appropriate math and science courses for their major.
Any questions may be directed to email@example.com. Thank you.
9:00 am- Welcome!
- You will meet the staff of New Student and Family Programs who will discuss what to expect as first-year students and for your Virtual Advising Day.
9:20 am- Academic Advocates
- A discussion of requirements that all students need to know to graduate: graduation requirements, major requirements and explanations of some of our technology.
10:15 am- Academic Department Sessions
- You will join the academic department Zoom link in which your major resides by returning to the Blackboard site, selecting the "Virtual Advising Day Zoom Links" tab and selecting the Zoom link for your major. You will be introduced to faculty, major requirements, and begin to search for courses during this session.
1:00 pm- Virtual Advising Day concludes
- After this time you can contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance with building your course schedule. In addition, you can join us in Zoom on June 22nd at 10:30 a.m. for Advising Assistance. The link for this space will be located at the same Blackboard tab, Virtual Advising Day Zoom Links.
- Our Orientation Leaders will be available to connect with you socially, answer questions you may have, and help you meet other incoming first-year students! We'll share with you the different topics and times on your Virtual Advising Day. To attend, you will go back to the Blackboard page and click on the link of the social session for your Advising Day. We hope you will consider joining us!
June Registration will take place starting at 9:00 a.m. on Tuesday, June 23 for students who completed an Advising Day on June 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 or 22. You will receive instructions for how this process will work and the PIN you will need to register for classes on your Virtual Advising Day.
For students attending our Advising Make-Up Day 2 in August, your Registration Day will be announced in the coming weeks.
You will receive instructions for how to register for classes at your Virtual Advising Day. You will want to be prepared a few minutes before 9:00 a.m. on June 23rd so that at 9:00 a.m. you can register. If a class you had wanted becomes full, you can continue to look for new courses on your own, or you can contact email@example.com for assistance.
Families and Guests should follow our Family & Guest Orientation page this summer to view recorded presentations and to register for live Zoom events. Please scroll to the section of the page with information for 2020 Orientation Information for Families & Guests.
Ram Ready Portal
The Ram Ready Portal will be an essential part of your transition to FSU. To access the Ram Ready Portal, log into myFramingham with your FSU username and password. On the student homepage you will see a channel for the Ram Ready Portal that you can select. You will log in with your FSU username and password. Through the Ram Ready Portal you will:
- Walk through your “To-Do List” with forms, due dates, and requirements that need to be completed prior to the start of school.
- Learn how to create your personal college experience through academic, social, and community involvement services and opportunities.
- Further your understanding of how you will contribute to creating a safe and inclusive campus community.
Black & Gold Beginnings
We will continue to monitor the situation closely to make the best determination for orientation programs scheduled for August and September. You will receive information about Black & Gold Beginnings via mail and email. Save-the-dates for Saturday, August 29-Tuesday, September 1! By attending social, academic, and informational events you will:
- Build awareness of campus resources that will help you succeed at FSU
- Recognize what it means to be a Ram in the FSU community.
- Establish connections with fellow students and members of the FSU faculty and staff.