First-Year Student Orientation
Welcome First-Year Students!
The Office of Orientation and New Student and Family Programs would like to congratulate new students on their decision to attend Framingham State University.
The Orientation Program provides an introduction to student life at the University, and helps students achieve a smooth academic transition by providing careful advisement on course and program selection prior to registration. The Orientation Program is specifically designed to meet the needs of new students. It is MANDATORY for all Day Division students entering Framingham State University.
Below you will find important information regarding orientation for students entering in Spring 2019. You will also receive an informational brochure in the mail after you make your deposit.
For Transfer Student Orientation information, please click here.
Orientation is a one-day experience in which you will:
- Meet faculty advisors from your academic department.
- Learn about courses, your major and other requirements necessary to graduate from a Framingham State.
- Register for classes.
- Have your student ID picture taken.
- Create connections with student leaders and other new students.
- Learn about campus life and available support resources for students.
- Become familiar with the Framingham State University campus.
Orientation is MANDATORY for all Day Division students entering Framingham State University.
There is no separate fee for Orientation.
Orientation Dates by Major:
Thursday, January 17 | RSVP by January 11
If the University is closed on January 17th due to inclement weather, orientation will take place on January 18th. In this instance, we will communicate with you via email.
Students who do not attend orientation will wait until after January 17th to register for courses with the faculty department chair for their major.
Prior to your Arrival On Campus:
- Individuals who require accommodations must notify our office of those needs in advance on the RSVP form or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For directions to campus and more information about parking, please click here.
- If you would like to, feel free to bring a fully charged laptop/tablet. Don’t worry if you don’t have one yet! We have will have computers available.
- If you are planning on changing your major from the one you indicated on your application to FSU, please make sure to contact Admissions as soon as possible to officially change your major. Until we get notice from the Office of Admissions that your major has changed, we will plan for you according to the major you indicated on your application. Please contact Admissions using this number: 508-626-4500.
- Entering students should have completed placement testing prior to Orientation. You will receive detailed information regarding placement testing in a letter that will be sent in the mail. If you have not completed placement testing, and do not have a scheduled time to do so, please contact the Placement Testing Coordinator at (508) 626-4905 or sign up online. You will still be able to attend orientation and register for courses, but you may need to update your schedule once you take the tests. Therefore, we encourage all students to test prior to their June orientation session.
- Download our mobile app, FSUgo, to access a virtual campus map and other useful information about FSU. On the day of orientation, you will be able to access the day’s schedule using this app!
Black & Gold Orientation Food Drive!
FSU supports students who are facing temporary or chronic homelessness and/or difficulty affording food. Support your fellow RAMS by bringing canned food and other non-perishables to orientation! All students who bring donations will be entered into a raffle to win awesome prizes. There will be winners each day of orientation, so don’t miss out!
Once you Arrive On Campus:
- You will be able to park in the Maynard Lot or Salem End Lot. (Please click here for an interactive map). Handicap-accessible parking is located behind the McCarthy Center. Keep an eye out for the Black and Gold Orientation Leaders outside directing traffic.
- Check-in starts at 8:30 in the McCarthy Center. Check-in takes place in the lobby of the McCarthy Center on State Street. Members of the Black & Gold Orientation team will be available to offer directions and assistance as you arrive on campus.
- The orientation day will end around 5:00 p.m. You must participate in the entire program. You must notify the Office of New Student and Family Programs if you have a reason to arrive late or depart early. There is no fee for student orientation.
- Light refreshments will be available until 9 a.m., and lunch and dinner will be served. Please inform us of any food allergies or restrictions on your RSVP form.
- Parents, family members and guests are welcome on campus during orientation. However, we do not offer a formal parent or guest program in January. All campus offices will be open for business from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Although family and guests are welcome to visit the campus during orientation, only students are allowed to participate in the orientation program. Families and guests who choose to stay on campus may eat at the Ram's Den Grilled located on the 2nd floor of the McCarthy Center. Meals provided during orientation are for students only. We appreciate your respect for these policies.